Laboratory on Mathematics and Mathematics Education
Stuff to think about yet
- About Steaks and Beans (Fermi questions)
- About Neurons and Brains (Lab Methods)
- About Turtles and Stars (Logo)
- About Bathtubes and Rabbits (DGS)
- About Busch Gardens and Sea World (WebQuests)
- About Mathematics in the World
Please read during the first week of the seminar:
- Logo Philosophy and Implementation - only the Introduction by Seymour Papert: What is Logo? And who needs it?
- Combination of dynamic geometry, algebra and calculus in the software system GeoGebra (by Hohenwarter & Fuchs)
After the two weeks of the course, you will have a writing assignment.
- Write 8-10 pages on English (or Portuguese).
- Choose a topic of this course which has impressed you most. (The topic you have thought "wow!")
- Fermi questions
- active plenum
- Logo (turtle graphics or recursion)
- DGS (also connected to algebra and spreadsheet calculation)
- Filling graphs
- Write a text about how this topic can be realized in Mozambican schools. Choose a grade level and create a mathematics lesson (or sequence of lessons). Write at least about:
- the conditions (schools, materials, students) to be considered
- description of the topic (that means, of the mathematics underlying your lesson)
- learning objectives
- methods used
- possible difficulties and how you can counteract
- lesson plan
During the whole course we will create a glossary of the key terms collaboratively.