ICT in Education/Change Projects/2015C Cambodia ICT-integrated HEQCIP Project
Title of the change project :ICT-integrated HEQCIP Project
Change agent : CHOUR Channreth
Email : email@example.com
Name of the organisation : Directorate General of Higher Education
Country : Cambodia
Started date : January 2016
Status (finished/ongoing) : ongoing
1. Background of the project (problem):· Today the nature of work, at either private or government institutions, is in a state of change. This change is reflected from the middle level to the executive level.
The key emphasis is made on efficiency and effectiveness, which are driven by the sophisticated technology as in ICT-directed work. In the context of Cambodia, the concept and implementation of ICT is not a new phenomenon. As stated in the Information and Communication Technology (ICT) policy 2009-2013, the Ministry of Education, Youth and Sport is aimed at integrating ICT not only teaching at all levels, including higher education, but also in administration. However, in practice, the extent of the integration of ICT is low and lot more needs to be done. In the Department of Higher Education of the Ministry of Education, Youth, and Sport (MOEYS), ICT-directed work is inevitable. For the last five years, the Directorate General of Higher Education has been implementing a 5-year project, Higher Education Quality and Capacity Improvement Project (HEQCIP). HEQCIP is divided into four operating components, one of which, the component 1 that has been dealing with strengthening the Capacity of the Higher Education System, which focuses primarily on capacity building to improve the overall development, management, and governance of the HE sub-sector (HEQCIP Mid-term Review, 2013a). It has contributed to improving the overall development and management of the higher education sub-sector by focusing on staff capacity development at the Department of Higher Education, Department of Science Research, and Accreditation Committee of Cambodia, and thereby improving their capacity to offer practical guidance and support to higher education institutions. This strategic staff development plan comprises workshops, annual conference on selected HE topics, study tours and internships, short courses, post-graduate fellowships, participation at regional and international HE events, English language training, training in areas related to institutional performance, and upgrading and expanding information technology facilities and competencies, and research implementations (HEQCIP Mid-term Review, 2013b).Nevertheless, the process of the work of HEQCIP component 1 is just satisfactory, partly because of inability of the component members to integrate ICT into the routine work as in communication, information storage, presentations with art of animation and hyperlinks of supporting documents or videos, budget planning, creativity, project activity planning, data processing and analysis, and so on. This challenge inspiringly motivates me to propose my project on the ways and means to integrate ICT into m the work routine for more effectiveness and efficiency.
2. Objectives : To create a new work culture that changes from traditional style to the ICT-oriented operation that will increase the effectiveness and efficiency in the HEQCIP component 1 implementation by determining the reasons for low ICT application among the staff. To show the contribution to efficiency and effectiveness that ICT can make. The effects of this proposed project would also be measured by a Results Framework involving qualitative and quantitative indicators.
3. Stakeholders : Component 1 staffs, Department of Scientific Research, Accreditation Commitee of Cambodia, and service receiver from universities.
4. List of Activities : · The Component 1 members need to prepare the existing mode of operations.
· The so-called web-based sharing file, Drop box etc., will be used to share the slide presentation. This will provide the slide presentations and the hyperlink videos to the members so that they can refer to anytime they wish. Moreover, it will provide room to those members for interaction, questions, and comments, which will be set and shared via the drop box folder.
· The target groups of the sample in this ‘change management project are the members of HEQCIP Component 1 and other related counterparts like those from Department of Science Research, Accreditation Committee of Cambodia, and the service receivers from universities in Phnom Penh who are involved in the project.
5. Expected result ; ·The members will be able to ease their work from the traditional way to a more efficient ICT platform – at-least 15 staff in Component 1 and 40 staff in DHE using ICT tool for effective communication.
· Consequently, the operating process of HEQCIP Component 1 would be more effective and efficient by using this ICT integration process – Less paper work and more ICT based communication leading to shorter response time for queries among the staff.
6. Actual result :
7. The Project organisation : Directorate General of Higher Education
Last Updated : 8 February 2016