ICT in Education/Change Projects/2015C Afghanistan Life Multimedia Center
Title of the change project :
Life Multimedia Center
Change agent : Fahima Schiwa Nayiby
Name of the organisation : Social Service for Young Women and Children Organization
Country : Afghanistan
Started date : March 2016
Status (finished/ongoing) :
1. Background of the project (problem): Access to internet and education in degital is a challenge in Afghanistan due to lack of resource and low level of education therefore efforts are required to change in education and do something as initiatives in Afghanistan particularly targets girls and women.
The Life Multimedia Centers will provide Afghan citizens in Mazar-e-Sharif, Afghanistan with training and access to the Internet to improve citizen access to information and to enhance their engagement in civil society through new media and web-based platforms. Life Center is located at a leading civil society organization and provides training to Afghans in courses ranging from training in computers to new media tools. Will establish in the spring of 2016 as part of the Sida-funded Afghanistan, the centers empower communities by increasing connectivity, building civil society networks, enhancing access to information and education, and enabling citizens’ creative self-expression. One female and one male employee – trained by Inter-news, an international media organization – staff each center, providing formal training, troubleshooting technical issues, and mentoring users.
2. Objectives :
To provide opportunity for the marginalized community memebers (Poor people special attention to women and girls) and to capacitate them through learining multimedia and access to internet.
3. Stakeholders :
- Department of education
- Department of Women Affairs
- Department of Social Affairs and Economy
4. List of Activities :
• Internet Access: The Life Centers provide communities with fast and free Internet service. For female student and women, in particular, the centers provide a secure and comfortable space to learn how to use the Internet, access news and information, and develop information and communication technology (ICT) and multimedia skills.
• Equipment and Facilities: The center has 10 laptop computers, digital cameras, video cameras, audio recorders, and includes a visitors’ computer room and conference space. Separate facilities are offered for women.
• Free Courses: The centers offer free courses in computer and ICT skills. Short introductory courses offered by the centers include: Introduction to Computers, How to E-mail, Microsoft
5. Expected result ;
Established Life Multimedia Centers in community forum Mazar-e-Sharif in March 2016.
• Life Multimedia Center staff received training in teaching methodology and business development from Inter-news.
• The center has been well received by its community, with over 700 individual visits between March 2016 to February 2017, and 900 registered members forming the Life network.
• The center is handicap accessible and provide equal access to Internet facilities and new media training for both girls and women.
• Community advisory committee has been established the center to attain full support from the local community.
• The Life.net website serves as a multimedia platform linking Life center with further centers across the country, and in turn, linking the Centers to Afghan IT organizations. Life.net connects young people across Afghanistan to the global information society, and enables Life members across the country to collaborate, share ideas, and increase multimedia skills and production.
6. Actual result :
7. The Project organisation :
Last Updated :