ICT in Education/Change Projects/2015B Rwanda Integration of ICT in Classroom
Title of the change project :INTEGRATION OF ICT THE CLASSROOM AT ECOLE DES SCIENCES DE GISENYI-RUBAVU/RWANDA
Change agent : Jean UKENEYEMURWE
Name of the organisation : ECOLE DES SCIENCES DE GISENYI-RUBAVU
Started date :
Status (finished/ongoing) : Ongoing
1. Background of the project (problem):
Despite the availability of computers and the Internet, computer labs are used for teaching ICT as a subject and each class has two hours of computer skills per week. The Internet usage in searching activities is used at a low level. Internet is especially used in communication (e-mails, social networks, music and movies download and web games playing). Therefore, teachers use their laptops especially in lesson planning and examinations preparation. So, the computers are used as typing machine! In addition, no classroom has the whiteboard, no front head projector and the usage of ICT devices in teaching is rare at ESG. This has a great impact on teaching and learning outcomes. Furthermore, not all teachers are convinced that ICT should be an integral part of their teaching strategies. Resisting change is a state of mind for some teachers, and it is the one of the most difficult barriers to effective ICT integration.
Another problem is that the school (ESG) spends a lot of money in buying teaching materials/teaching aids. A problem of science laboratories materials cannot be left behind; the usage of simulators can be the good solution in case the teachers integrate ICT in all teaching and learning activities. But the questions remain:
a) Do those teachers have capacities to use their laptops effectively/efficiently in teaching and learning process of their students?
b) Is ICT integration in classroom the most cost-effective way to improve our students’ performance?
c) Do students use ICT devices in good manner?
d) What can be done to overcome of these issues?
2. Objectives :
- to provide the teacher with the knowledge, skills and attitudes to better use technology in their lesson-planning and lessons, research, communication, problem-solving, and continuing professional development.
- To create an environment for students-centered use of ICT using,
- Integrate ICT appropriately into laboratories’ activities that will foster students ownership of their ICT-rich learning environment.
- To increase the rate of success
3. Stakeholders :
- Rwanda Education Board
- Broadband Systems Corporation
- RUBAVU DISTRICT
- ECOLE DES SCIENCES DE GISENYI
- PARENTS AND STUDENTS
4. List of Activities :
- Training of teachers in ICT essential skills and its pedagogy in teaching and learning (Advanced training in Ms Office suite and Internet),
- Extend Internet connectivity everywhere within the school by implementing Wireless Access points in each corner.
5. Expected result :
- Through this change project our target group will get several skills mostly in ICT-based teaching and learning pedagogy. This will lead students to learn more, quickly and easily.
- This project will also contribute to the reduction of teaching and learning aids cost namely money spent on buying chalks, diaries, notebooks, papers, pens, etc.
- Target group will have a new look of ICT devices/equipment and teachers will not only integrate ICT in teaching and learning but they will also appropriate it buy using ICT in their real life.
- Student’ success rate will be high and the number of students who continue their university studies will be increasing each year. This will impact a lot to Rwanda’s economy.
6. Actual result :
7. The Project organisation :
- Head Teacher: Project Supervisor
- Deputy of Studies: Project Facilitator
- Me/ICT Manager:Project Owner and Project Manager
Last Updated :