ICT in Education/Change Projects/2014C Bangladesh Development and Practice Digital Content
Will be updated on 10th February 2015 in a training program by the participants
Change agent: 1. Khan Md. Mainul Hoque 2. Qurratul Ayen Safdar
Name of the organization: National Academy for Educational Management (NAEM)
Title of the change project : Development and Practices of Digital content in the Secondary level Institutions of Bangladesh.
Started date: April 2015
Last Updated on: 15 October 2015
Bangladesh has got one of the biggest education system in the world with total (primary + secondary +tertiary) 140235 institution, 929518 teachers and 33568501 students (BANBEIS 2012). Among which 19208 are secondary level institutions with 221043 teachers and 7937235 students. Though the access in education has increased dramatically between the decades, the dropout rate in secondary education is really frustrating; it is 44.65% as per BANBEIS statistics 2012. Century old traditional teacher centered learning system could not attract the students to remain in the classes. Digital content development and its practice in making the classroom teaching joyful is almost absent in Bangladesh. Development and practices of digital content at secondary level are comparatively a new idea in the institutional framework of education in Bangladesh. Government of Bangladesh has formulated ICT policy-2009 as well as Education Policy-2010. Recently Government of Bangladesh has taken an initiative to introduce ICT based education as reform in the education system at secondary level. In conformity with these policies, Government introduced multimedia classroom in all secondary institutions in Bangladesh for ensuring effective teaching learning. ICT and pedagogical knowledge of the teachers is essential to make effective multimedia classroom. Education Policy denotes that information and communication technology is the key to democratizing education through communicating the learning aspiration to all the students. The vision of government is to provide opportunity of practicing technology to all students and enabling teaching learning environment to them. So that they can face the future challenges of globalization. None can deny that technology is the key enabler to equip the students to think smarter and become more creative.
2. Objectives General Objective: The purpose of this project is to ensure vibrant and effective teaching learning environment to build the student as a future global citizen. Specific Objectives: 1. To help the students for better understanding of the topic in a systematic way. 2. To make the learning more interesting and enjoyable for students 3. To motivate students to more self-managed learner and 4. To be more creative and innovative in teaching.
3. Stakeholders Secondary Level teachers, students, Education Officials and parents . 4. The Scope of the project: Secondary level teachers
5. Activities: 1. Core Trainers Training Program for Headteachers
2. In house training program
National Academy for Educational Management (NAEM) has invited 84 head teachers as well as superintendents across the country in three phases for participating ICT training course. The main activities of this training program are to equip the head teachers in ICT knowledge and actively engage themselves in ICT. On completion of these training programs they are arranging in-house training programs for developing all the teachers of their school.
6. Expected or final result: The number of ICT trained teachers will be increased through cascade training mode. The teachers will conduct the class using digital contents. Century old traditional teacher centered learning system could not attract the students to remain in the classes. Digital content development and its practice will make the classroom teaching joyful. ICT and pedagogical knowledge of the teachers will make a new dimension in the field of teaching-learning in secondary education. Now teachers’ believe that technology is the key enabler to equip the students to think smarter and become more creative.
7. The Project organization:National Academy for Educational Management (NAEM)