Human vision and function/Part 3: Vision in real life: case studies/3.5 Marion Sinclair
- are the orthoptist working at a rural Victorian hospital
- are employed in an ophthalmology clinic
- both you and the ophthalmologist travel to this clinic once a month and stay for 1 week
- Marion Sinclair is a 72 year old
- She has been referred for ophthalmic review by her optometrist
- She is Nick's grandmother, Sam's wife, Joe's mother-in-law and Mary's mother
Task 1[edit | edit source]
Carefully read Marion's referral letter and look at her Amsler grid results. If you've never seen an Amsler grid before, you can find out more here.
Make a note of any concepts you don't understand and discuss these with your group.
Task 2[edit | edit source]
Working with your group, answer the following questions. Of course, find your own resources, but you can start by referring to the Macular Disease Foundation website.
- What is ARMD?
- What are the mechanisms for it’s cause?
- Briefly describe the types of ARMD.
- Are there risk factors for this condition?
- What are common symptoms?
- How will tests help to diagnose the condition?
- Are there treatments? If so, what are they?
- What are the prevalence rates and projected numbers of affected people by 2020?