Exam 98-365: Windows Server Administration Fundamentals/Understanding Server Maintenance
This lesson covers Understanding Server Maintenance. It looks at the startup process, business continuity, updates, and troubleshooting methodology.
Activity 1 - Identify Steps in the Startup Process
This objective may include but is not limited to: bios; bootsector; bootloader; MBR; boot.ini; bcdedit; POST; Safe Mode.
- Read Power-On Self Test Process.
- Read Troubleshooting the Startup Process.
- Read Boot Configuration Data Editor.
- Read Start Your Computer in Safe Mode.
Activity 2 - Understand Business Continuity
This objective may include but is not limited to: backup and restore; disaster recovery; clustering; AD restore; folder redirection; data redundancy; uniterruptible power supply (UPS).
- Read Folder Redirection Overview.
- Read Windows Server Backup.
- Read Create Backups of the System State.
- Read System State Data.
Activity 3 - Understand Updates
This objective may include but is not limited to: software; driver; operating systems; applications; Windows Update; Windows Server Update Service (WSUS).
Activity 4 - Understand Troubleshooting Methodology
This objective may include but is not limited to: processes; procedures; best practices; systematic vs. specific approach; perfmon; Event Viewer; Resource Monitor; Information Technology Infrastructure Library; central logging; event filtering; default logs.
- Read Using Event Viewer.
- Read Event Viewer.
- Read Resource Availability Troubleshooting Getting Started Guide.