How will Brexit happen?
- The UK held a referendum in June 2016.
- A majority of voters supported leaving the EU.
- The UK Prime Minister, Theresa May, started the leaving procedure by writing a letter to Donald Tusk, the President of the European Council.
- There will be numerous meetings between UK and EU officials to discuss different aspects of Brexit.
- The two sides might or might not agree on all matters.
- If there is an agreement, then it will take effect on 29 March 2019.
- If there is no agreement, the UK will still leave, but with standard conditions from the World Trade Organization.