Automotive Technology/Tire Code
Jump to navigation Jump to search
- Tread width is usually in millimeters
- The aspect ratio is the sidewall divided by the tread width expressed as a percentage.
- They don't make passenger tires in the US that aren't radial.
- Rim size is usually in inches for unknown reasons.
- The load index refers to how much the weight the tire can handle
- The speed rating, shown as speed symbol, gives a maximum speed tolerance of the tire
- DOT tire code is a four digit code, 2 digit week and 2 digit year
The higher the aspect ratio, the easier the tire comes off the rim.