Australian Vocational Education and Training/CPPBDN8006 Identify and manage new building design technologies
CPPBDN8006 - Identify and manage new building design technologies[edit | edit source]
This unit of competency specifies the outcomes required to identify new technologies that support building design practices. It covers managing building information modelling (BIM) technologies and systems that support three-dimensional (3-D) modelling and visualisation and capture information about the building fabric as part of a 3-D model. It involves the selection, installation, staff training in, and use of the technology to enhance collaboration of different professionals during the life cycle management of a building.The unit supports the work involved in managing new building design technologies. It applies to senior managers and business owners who manage the selection and application of new technologies in building design practices.Licensing, legislative, regulatory or certification requirements apply to this unit of competency in some States. Relevant state and territory regulatory authorities should be consulted to confirm those requirements.
Objectives[edit | edit source]
Elements and Performance Criteria[edit | edit source]
After studying this unit you will be able to:
- Analyse the availability of new technologies.
- Research is conducted to identify and analyse new technologies available to the building design sector.
- Applications of the new technologies and the potential benefits to the business are assessed.
- Costs of acquiring and using new technologies are evaluated to inform purchase decision.
- Decisions are made about the optimum software and hardware solutions to meet the immediate and medium-terms needs of the practice.
- Introduce technology to the practice.
- Purchase, installation, and commissioning of new technologies are planned and managed.
- Staff training in the use of new technologies is organised and undertaken.
- Potential benefits and uses of the technology are communicated to client.
- Documentation to support efficient and effective use of new technologies is completed.
- Manage the use of BIM in the design, modelling, documentation and management of buildings during their life cycle.
- Benefits of using BIM to work collaboratively on buildings during their life cycle are communicated to related professionals.
- Protocols and the specification of input and output parameters are developed and communicated to related professionals.
- Processes to monitor BIM usage are developed and put in place.
- Processes to manage the creation, labelling, storage and sharing of files and materials are developed and put in place.
- Resourcing and budgeting to manage the ongoing use of the system are identified and put in place.
Readings[edit | edit source]
Find links to add to this section on the ntisthis.com links page
Activities[edit | edit source]
- Click on the 'Discuss' tab at the top of the page and introduce yourself
- Rewrite one of the Elements or Performance Criteria in the Objectives section in plain language. Imagine that it starts with the words: "After studying this subject I will be able to..." For example a performance criteria that reads: "Work area is prepared to support efficient installation of sewage discharge pipes" is full of puff. It could be changed to read: "Set up a work area for installing sewage discharge pipes"
- Find relevant links and add them to the Readings section. When adding a link use the Edit Summary field to comment on why you chose that link and which objectives it addresses.
- Create and/or link Key Terms to relevant articles in WikiCommons, Wikibooks, Wikipedia or Wiktionary
- Add a quiz question to the Review section. This could be based on any of the objectives, required skills and knowledge or key terms. Or you could base it on information found via the links in the readings section. Here are some tips for writing better quiz questions.
- For bonus marks, write a challenge and add it to the Challenges section.
Assignments for this subject would address the following areas:
Performance Evidence[edit | edit source]
A person demonstrating competency in this unit must satisfy the requirements of the elements, performance criteria, foundation skills and range of conditions of this unit. The person must also demonstrate research and analysis of the application of new technologies, including building information modelling (BIM)-capable software, suitable for one building design practice; and document the purchase and management of new technology within the practice.
Knowledge Evidence[edit | edit source]
A person demonstrating competency in this unit must demonstrate knowledge of:
- benefits of BIM technologies, including:
- avoidance of clashes in the design and building process
- enhanced geographic information
- enhanced identification of quantities and property of building components
- enhanced sharing of information between related professionals
- improved clarity regarding spatial relationships
- improved construction planning and materials fabrication
- contractual requirements and implications for the business
- design drawing and representation methods
- design of work processes to support the effective operation of new technologies
- digital file management procedures
- financial management and budgeting processes
- functions and operation of 3-D modelling software program
- organisational resource requirements to undertake the introduction of new technologies
- risk management processes
- technical role and performance of new technologies, including BIM.
Key Terms[edit | edit source]
Range Statement[edit | edit source]
|This section specifies work environments and conditions that may affect performance. Essential operating conditions that may be present (depending on the work situation, needs of the candidate, accessibility of the item, and local industry and regional contexts) are included. Bold italicised wording, if used in the performance criteria, is detailed below.
|New technologies must include:
|Related professionals<cs id="4"/>must include at least two of the following:
Review Questions[edit | edit source]
Challenges[edit | edit source]
References[edit | edit source]
The template for this subject was genreated by NTISthis!