A technologist (‘Applied agrologist or aquaculturist’) from Rural Development College Level Program will mainly work as an operator and manager of an agriculture or aquaculture business farm. He/she has to:
1. Understand the work functions and tasks associated with rural development, and the rural community.
2. Organise and communicate information related to an agriculture or aquaculture business farm and its environment.
3. Act safely in the workplace for him/herself and also for the environment.
4. Handle and use chemical and biological agents safely.
5. Operate and apply minor adjustments and maintenance of farm vehicles and equipment.
6. Build and maintain farm buildings and structures.
7. Understand the dynamics of the agriculture or aquaculture business sector.
8. Understand and use the relationships between anatomical and physiological characteristics of various species, their cultivation and breeding.
9. Prepare and use the soil and land for agriculture and/or aquaculture production.
10. Apply and manage soil fertilisation and usage program in a sustainable development approach.
11. Control and operate a plant production program including crops, trees and vegetables.
12. Detect and manage pests and diseases of plants, fish and animals.
13. Apply and manage a nutrition program.
14. Apply and manage a health program.
15. Apply and manage a water resource program for agriculture or aquaculture.
16. Apply and manage a land resource program for agriculture or aquaculture.
17. Apply and implement basic breeding and genetic improvement techniques.
18. Control and operate an animal production program including swine, cattle and poultry.
19. Control and operate an aquaculture production program including shellfish, finfish and aquatic plants to increase productivity, industry growth and promotion.
20. Plan, operate and manage farm buildings, equipment, courtyard, land and soil for production including integrated farming.
21. Apply and monitor the biological, chemical and physical interactions within the environment.
22. Apply modern technologies in farming operations in respect to the environment, food safety and hygiene.
23. Participate in conservation and wildlife protection, as relates to agriculture and aquaculture activities.
24. Plan and manage the daily operations and production resources for human, material and product resources.
25. Budget basic farming operations.
26. Plan and manage the daily operations for agriculture or aquaculture business enterprise development and for market development.
27. Market the products including basic knowledge of regional and international market trends.
28. Maintain, harvest and implement post harvest techniques for agriculture or aquaculture products.
29. Apply and manage quality control and assurance program.
30. Understand legislations, codes of practice and standards for agriculture and aquaculture food quality and production.
31. Maintain relations with the agriculture or aquaculture business sector including farmers, government agencies, international agencies, cooperatives and agriculture / aquaculture business enterprises.
32. Participate in promotion and extension events for agriculture or aquaculture.
33. Provide advise and extension services to farmers on main farming operations, such as usage of chemical, pesticide, biological agents, pests, diseases, cultivation, breeding, protection of environment, sustainable development, food safety and hygiene.