Jump to navigation Jump to search
Appropedia is a site for collaborative solutions in sustainability, poverty reduction and international development, with a particular focus on appropriate technology.
Appropedia as a pedagogical tool
Appropedia can be used to:
- integrate sustainability and development studies into language courses 
- provide useful content for translation for language courses 
- provide a design forum for engineering courses 
- coordinate an online course  
- encourage collaboration on documents within a course 
Appropedia can be a valuable learning resource.
Examples of service learning projects
- Appropedia: Arcata Marsh - a natural wastewater treatment system, documented publicly for the first time.
- Appropedia: Global Health Medical Device Compendium, begun in 2011 and [ns.umich.edu/new/releases/20346-global-health-students-build-wiki-of-medical-devices-designed-for-low-income-countries announced] in April 2012, already with many documented technologies.
- J. M. Pearce, L. Grafman, T. Colledge, and R. Legg, “Leveraging Information Technology, Social Entrepreneurship and Global Collaboration for Just Sustainable Development” Proceedings of the 12th Annual National Collegiate Inventors and Innovators Alliance Conference, pp. 201- 210, 2008.
- J. M. Pearce and E. ter Horst “Appropedia and Sustainable Development for Improved Service Learning”, Proceedings of Association for the Advancement of Sustainability in Higher Education 2008.
- Joshua M. Pearce, “Appropedia as a Tool for Service Learning in Sustainable Development”, Journal of Education for Sustainable Development, 3(1), pp.45-53, 2009. Q-Space pre-print
- E. ter Horst and J. M. Pearce, “Foreign Languages and the Environment: A Collaborative Instructional Project:”, The Language Educator, pp. 52-56, October, 2008.