Applied Programming/Web Design
Jump to navigation Jump to search
This lesson provides a brief introduction to the website design side of GUI.
Objectives and Skills
Objectives and skills for this lesson include:
- Generate a web page
- Manage widgets for the web page
- Run a web page with a local host
- YouTube: HTML Basics
- YouTube: HTML Styles
- YouTube: Flask for Beginners Tutorial
- YouTube: Python Flask Tutorial: Full-Featured Web App Part 1 - Getting Started
- YouTube: Simple Python Web Server
- Extend one of the programs developed in this course by generating the output as a web page rather than a console application. Use command-line parameters for any required input.
- Web application development is the process of developing web applications that run in a web browser. Applications like Gmail, Outlook, WhatsApp, and even E-Commerce websites are good examples.
- As with most other programming languages, Web Application Development can be done with something as simple as a text editor.
- Many web application tools support the Java programming language.
- Web applications undergo the same unit, integration and system testing as traditional desktop applications. But because web application clients vary so greatly, teams might perform some additional testing, such as:
- Practicing code reuse and using web application frameworks can greatly improve both productivity and time to market (McConnell 1996:537). Reusing externally developed components can allow an organization to reap the above benefits, while potentially saving money.
- An API is a means to communicate between two or more components of software. API interfaces make it easier for developers to use certain technologies in building applications.
- Command-line interface, the program is composed purely of textual content.
- A piece of computer hardware or software that accesses a service made available by a server. Web application clients vary greatly and this warrants extended forms of testing.
- Graphical user interface, the program is composed of interactive widgets.
- GUI wrapper
- Graphical user interface wrappers circumvent the command-line interface versions of (typically) Linux and Unix-like software applications. Applications may also provide both interfaces, and when they do the GUI is usually a WIMP wrapper around the command-line version.
- integration testing
- A phase in software testing in which individual software modules are combined and tested as a group.
- post-WIMP interface
- As of 2011, some touchscreen-based operating systems such as Apple's iOS and Android use the class of GUIs named post-WIMP. These support styles of interaction using more than one finger in contact with a display, which allows actions such as pinching and rotating, which are unsupported by one pointer and mouse.
- Refers to the appearance of a program's interface.
- system testing
- Testing conducted on a complete, integrated system to evaluate the system's compliance with its specified requirements.
- unit testing
- A phase of software testing where individual units of a software are tested to determine whether they are fit for use.
- A vessel for human-computer interaction that is characteristic of a GUI;a widget could be a button, a check box, a text box, etc.
- Stands for "Windows, Icons, Menus, Pointer." which describes the graphical user interface (GUI) of personal computers.
- A graphical control element which consists of a visual area containing some of the graphical user interface of the program it belongs to and is framed by window decoration.
- provides the user with a graphical interface to work with file systems and launch applications. It uses a workbench metaphor (in place of the more common desktop metaphor) for representing file system organisation.
- web framework
- A structure support of web applications, libraries, APIs, and compilers to streamline the creation of new software.
- web application
- A client-server program that runs in a web browser.
- web application development
- The process and practice of developing web applications.
- Internet Fundamentals
- Web Designer Depot - Operating System Interface Design Between 1981-2009
- HubSpot - A Look Back at 20+ Years of Website Design
- Wayback Machine
- Wikipedia: Web application development
- "Application programming interface" (in en). Wikipedia. 2018-07-19. https://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=Application_programming_interface&oldid=850975267.
- Wikipedia: Command-line interface
- "Client (computing)" (in en). Wikipedia. 2018-06-03. https://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=Client_(computing)&oldid=844165126.
- Wikipedia: Graphical user interface
- Wikipedia: Integration testing
- Wikipedia: System testing
- Wikipedia: Unit testing
- Wikipedia: Widget (GUI)
- Wikipedia: Window (computing)
- Wikipedia: Workbench (AmigaOS)
- Wikipedia: Web framework
- Wikipedia: Web application