The Active Brain is a Research Group at the University of Canberra, Canberra, Australia. Their research investigates the interrelationship between human movement and the brain, seeking to optimise health and performance.
Medium ActiveBrainUC on Medium
Our 2020 Conference ActiveBrain2020 in Canberra was unfortunately cancelled due to COVID.
Members[edit | edit source]
Visiting scholars[edit | edit source]
- Arthur Peryard (Masters candidate, France, 2013)
- Lincoln Karthchner (UG Neuroscience student, USA, 2016)
- Luca Filipas (PhD candidate, Italy, 2018)
Partnerships[edit | edit source]
Institutional collaborators[edit | edit source]
Equipment[edit | edit source]
The Active Brain group have access to a range of facilities and equipment at UC including:
Grant income[edit | edit source]
2020[edit | edit source]
- Keegan R, Rattray B, McKune A, Martin K, Pyne D, Petersen K, Appaneal R. Extension to: An integrated approach to monitoring occupational demands and improving resilience and performance readiness in military personnel. Human Performance Research Network (HPRnet) - DST Group and the Australian Army. Extra $95,000
2017[edit | edit source]
- Telford D, Clark B, Keegan R, Keegan S, Lowrie T, Telford R, Welvaert M, Wicks L. Revitalizing PE and Sport: The Victorian Regional Rural Physical Literacy Trial: Phase 2 Victoria 2017. Various funders. $150,000
2016[edit | edit source]
- Thompson K, Keegan R, Rattray B, McKune A, Martin K, Pyne D, Petersen K, Appaneal R. An integrated approach to monitoring occupational demands and improving resilience and performance readiness in military personnel. Human Performance Research Network (HPRnet) - DST Group and the Australian Army. $450,000
- Thompson KG, Pyne DP, Shephard M, Osbourne M. Achieving marginal gains: Perfecting the pacing strategies of Australian swimmers. Queensland Academy of Sport, Australian Institute of Sport, Swimming Australia. $77,400
- Thompson KG, Pyne DP, Shephard M, Osbourne M. Maximising pacing strategies of Australian swimmers. The Australian Sports Commission and Swimming Australia and Queensland Academy of Sport. $24,281
- Hassmen P, Thompson KG, Keegan R, Appaneal R. Resilience and mindfulness in elite sport. AIS PhD scholarship funding $78,864
- Keegan R, Barnett L, Dudley D, Farrow D, Lubans D, Morgan P, Okely T, Salmon J, Telford D, Vella S. Research services for the Physical Literacy Project. $198,263
2015[edit | edit source]
- Rattray B, Smee D, Northey J and Versey N. Effects of compression garments for cognitive performance during exercise. Australian Institute of Sport/Australian Sports Commission. $11,636.02
2013[edit | edit source]
- Rattray B,Pumpa K, Smee D, Anstey K, Cherbuin N, and Bielak A. Improving exercise prescription for cognitive wellbeing and healthy ageing. Dementia Collaborative Research Centre - Early Diagnosis and Prevention - seed grants. $29,925.17
Journal papers[edit | edit source]
Online First[edit | edit source]
- Astokorki, A., Flood, A., & Mauger, A. Images depicting human pain increase exercise-induced pain and impair endurance cycling performance. Journal of Sports Sciences. (2019 IF: 2,597). Accepted 8/8/2020.
- Northey JM, Rattray B, Pumpa KL, Smee DJ, Fraser M, Shaw M, Anstey KJ and Cherbuin N. Objectively measured physical activity is associated with dorsolateral prefrontal cortex volume in older adults. NeuroImage. (2019 IF: 5.902). Accepted 6/7/2020
- Filipas L, Martin K, Northey J, La Torre A, Keegan R and Rattray B. Endurance training improves tolerance to mental exertion in untrained individuals. Journal of Science and Medicine in Sport. (2018 IF: 3.623). Accepted 24 April 2020.
2020[edit | edit source]
- Walsh E, Smith E, Northey J, Rattray B and Cherbuin N. Towards an understanding of the physical activity-BDNF-cognition triumvirate: a review of associations and dosage. Ageing Research Reviews. (2018 IF: 10.390). 60: 101044. DOI: 10.1016/j.arr.2020.101044
- Martin K, Périard J, Rattray B and Pyne DB. Physiological factors which influence cognitive performance in military personnel. Human Factors. (2017 IF: 2.371). Accepted 14 March 2019.
2019[edit | edit source]
- Martin K, McLeod E, Periard J, Rattray B, Keegan R and Pyne D. The impact of environmental stress on cognitive performance: A systematic review. Human Factors. 61(8): 1205-1246. (2018 IF: 2.649). DOI: 10.1177/0018720819839817
- Martin K, Thompson KG, Keegan R and Rattray B. Are individuals who engage in more frequent self-regulation less susceptible to mental fatigue? Journal of Sport & Exercise Psychology. 41(5): 289–297. (2018 IF: 2.434). DOI: 10.1123/jsep.2018-0222
- Rattray B, Martin K, Hewitt A, Cooper G and McDonald W. Effect of acute modafinil ingestion on cognitive and physical performance following mental exertion. Human Psychopharmacology: Clinical and Experimental. 34(4) (2017 IF: 2.806). DOI: 10.1002/hup.2700
- Byrne R and Flood A. The influence of transcranial direct current stimulation on pain affect and endurance exercise. Psychology of Sport and Exercise. (2018 IF: 2.710). 54: 101554. DOI: 10.1016/j.psychsport.2019.101554
- Northey JM, Rattray B, Pumpa KL, Smee DJ, Welvaertv M, Anstey KJ and Cherbuin N. Can the intensity of physical activity be accurately measured in older adults using questionnaires? Journal of Science and Medicine in Sport. 22(7): 803-807. (2017 IF: 3.929). DOI: 10.1016/j.jsams.2019.01.004
- Northey JM, Pumpa KL, Quinlan C, Ikin A, Toohey K, Smee DJ and Rattray B. Cognition in breast cancer survivors: a pilot study of interval and continuous exercise. Journal of Science and Medicine in Sport. 22(5): 580-585. (2017 IF: 3.929). DOI: 10.1016/j.jsams.2018.11.026
- Halperin I, Chapman DW, Thompson KG and Abbiss C. False-performance feedback does not affect punching forces and pacing of elite boxers. Journal of Sports Sciences. 37(1): 59-66. (2017 IF: 2.733). DOI: 10.1080/02640414.2018.1482526
2018[edit | edit source]
- Martin K, Meeusen R, Thompson KG, Keegan R and Rattray B. Mental fatigue impairs endurance performance: A physiological explanation. Sports Medicine. 48(9): 2041–2051. (2017 IF: 7.074). DOI: 10.1007/s40279-018-0946-9
- Smale BA, Northey JM, Smee DJ, Versey NG and Rattray B. Compression garments and cerebral blood flow: Influence on cognitive and exercise performance. European Journal of Sport Science. 18(3): 315-322. (2017 IF: 2.576).DOI: 10.1080/17461391.2017.1413139
- Northey J, Cherbuin N, Pumpa K, Smee D and Rattray B. Exercise interventions for cognitive function in adults older than fifty: a systematic review with meta-analysis. British Journal of Sports Medicine. 52(3): 154-160. (2017 IF: 7.867). DOI: 10.1136/bjsports-2016-096587
- Périard JD, De Pauw K, Zanow F and Racinais S. Cerebrocortical activity during self-paced exercise in temperate, hot and hypoxic conditions. Acta Physiologica. (2017 IF: 5.93). 222(1):e12916 DOI: 10.1111/apha.12916
- Miles KH, Clark B, Périard JD, Goecke R and Thompson KG. Facial feature tracking: a psychophysiological measure to assess exercise intensity? Journal of Sports Sciences. (2017 IF: 2.733). 36(8): 934-941 DOI: 10.1080/02640414.2017.1346275
- Walton CC, Keegan RJ, Martin M and Hallock H. The Potential Role for Cognitive Training in Sport: More Research Needed. Frontiers in Psychology. 9: 1121. (2016 IF: 2.323). DOI: 10.3389/fpsyg.2018.01121
- Haynes W, Waddington G, Adams R and Isableu B. Relationships Between Accuracy in Predicting Direction of Gravitational Vertical and Academic Performance and Physical Fitness in Schoolchildren. Frontiers in Psychology. 9: 1528. (2016 IF: 2.323). DOI: 10.3389/fpsyg.2018.01528
- Teasdale H, Preston E, Flood A and Waddington G. Safety and efficacy of high definition tDCS for proprioception and balance in Parkinson's disease: A pilot randomised trial. Movement Disorders. 33: S516-S516.
2017[edit | edit source]
- Flood A, Waddington G and Cathcart S. Examining the relationship between endogenous pain modulation capacity and endurance exercise performance. Research in Sports Medicine. 25(3): 300-312. (2015 IF: 1.420). DOI: 10.1080/15438627.2017.1314291.
- Flood A, Waddington G, Keegan RJ, Thompson KG and Cathcart S. The effects of elevated pain inhibition on endurance exercise performance. PeerJ 5:e3028 (2015 IF: 2.183). DOI: 10.7717/peerj.3028
- Rattray B, Smale, BA, Northey JM, Smee DJ, and Versey NG. Middle cerebral artery blood flow velocity during a 4 kilometre cycling time-trial. European Journal of Applied Physiology. 117(6): 1241–1248. (2016 IF: 2.328). DOI: 10.1007/s00421-017-3612-2
- Flood A, Waddington G, Thompson K and Cathcart S. Increased conditioned pain modulation in athletes. Journal of Sports Sciences. 35(11): 1066-1072. (2015 IF: 2.142) DOI: 10.1080/02640414.2016.1210196
- Walker A, Rattray B and Brearley M. Perception or reality; can thermal perceptions inform management of firefighters in the heat? Journal of Occupational & Environmental Hygiene. 14(4): 306-312. (2015 IF: 1.155). DOI: 10.1080/15459624.2016.1240871
- Stone MR, Thomas K, Wilkinson M, Stevenson E, St. Clair Gibson A, Jones AM, Thompson KG. Exploring the performance reserve: Effect of different magnitudes of power output deception on 4,000 m cycling time-trial performance. PLoS ONE 12(3): e0173120. doi:10.1371/journal.pone.0173120
- Shei RJ, Adamic EM, Raglin JS, Thompson KG, Mickleborough TD. Commentary: Improvements in Cycling Time Trial Performance Are Not Sustained Following the Acute Provision of Challenging and Deceptive Feedback. Frontiers in Physiology. 7:399. (2016 IF: 4.134) DOI: 10.3389/fphys.2016.00399
- Skorski S, Thompson KG, Keegan RJ, Meyer T and Abbiss CR. A monetary reward alters pacing but not performance in competitive cyclists. Frontiers in Physiology. 8:741. (2016 IF: 4.134). DOI: 10.3389/fphys.2017.00741
- Haynes W, Waddington G and Adams R. Physical activity, academic and developmental measures in older primary school-children: A principal components analysis. Cogent Psychology. 4(1): 1413928. DOI: 10.1080/23311908.2017.1413928
2016[edit | edit source]
- Swann C, Crust L, Jackman P, Vella S, Allen M and Keegan R. Performing Under Pressure: Exploring the Psychological State Underlying Clutch Performance in Sport. Journal of Sports Sciences
- Stone MR, St Clair Gibson A and Thompson KG. Asymmetry of Cerebral Hemodynamic Response to Incremental Cycling Exercise. International Journal of Sports Physiology & Performance. 11(2): 273-5. DOI: 10.1123/ijspp.2015-0168.
- Shei RJ, Thompson K, Chapman R, Raglin J and Mickleborough T. Using Deception to Establish a Reproducible Improvement in 4-Km Cycling Time Trial Performance. International Journal of Sports Medicine. 37(5): 341-346.
- Flood A, Waddington G and Cathcart S. High-Definition Transcranial Direct Current Stimulation Enhances Conditioned Pain Modulation in Healthy Volunteers: A Randomized Trial. The Journal of Pain. 17(5): 600-605. (2015 IF: 4.463). DOI: 10.1016/j.jpain.2016.01.472
- Martin K, Staiano W, Menaspa P, Hennessey T, Marcora S, Keegan R, Thompson KG, Martin D, Halson S and Rattray B. Superior Inhibitory Control and Resistance to Mental Fatigue in Professional Road Cyclists. PLoS ONE. 11(7): e0159907.(2015 IF: 3.057). DOI: 10.1371/journal.pone.0159907.
- Lapointe T, Brassard P, Rattray B and Lachance E. Physical activity counteracts the influence of mental work on blood pressure in healthy children. Physiology & Behavior. 164(A): 102–106. (2015 IF: 2.461). DOI: 10.1016/j.physbeh.2016.05.048
- Walker A, McKune A, Ferguson S, Pyne DB and Rattray B. Chronic occupational exposures can influence the rate of PTSD in first responders and military personnel. Extreme Physiology & Medicine. 5:8. DOI: 10.1186/s13728-016-0049-x
- Rattray B and Smee D. The effect of high and low exercise intensity periods on a simple memory recognition test. Journal of Sport and Health Science. 5:342-348. (2015 IF: 1.685) DOI: 10.1016/j.jshs.2015.01.005
2015[edit | edit source]
- Wightman EL, Haskell-Ramsay CF, Thompson KG, Blackwell JR, Winyard PG, Forster J, Jones AM and Kennedy DO. Dietary nitrate modulates cerebral blood flow parameters and cognitive performance in humans: A double-blind, placebo-controlled, crossover investigation. Physiology & Behavior. 149: 149-158.
- Rattray B, Argus C, Martin K, Northey J and Driller M. Is it time to turn our attention towards central mechanisms for post-exertional recovery strategies and performance? Frontiers in Physiology. 6:79. 17 March 2015. doi: 10.3389/fphys.2015.00079.
- Martin K, Thompson KG, Keegan R, Ball N and Rattray B. Mental fatigue does not affect maximal anaerobic exercise performance. European Journal of Applied Physiology. 115(4): 715-25. (2013 Impact Factor: 2.298; ranked (Sport Sciences) by impact factor, 31 of 129). DOI: 10.1007/s00421-014-3052-1
2014[edit | edit source]
- Thompson K. Pacing: Individual strategies for optimal performance. Human Kinetics, Champaign, Illinois, USA. pp 225. Book
- Thompson KG, Turner L, Prichard J, Dodd F, Kennedy DO, Haskell C, Blackwell JR, Jones AM. Influence of dietary nitrate supplementation on physiological and cognitive responses to incremental cycle exercise. Respiratory Physiology & Neurobiology. 193: 11-20.
- Walker A, Driller M, Brearley M, Argus C and Rattray B. Cold Water Immersion and Iced Slush Ingestion are effective at cooling firefighters following a simulated search and rescue task in a hot environment. Applied Physiology, Nutrition, and Metabolism. 39(10): 1159-1166. (2013 Impact factor: 2.225; Ranked (Sport Sciences) by impact factor, 20 of 81)
- Périard JD, Christian RJ, Knez WL and Racinais S. Voluntary muscle and motor cortical activation during progressive exercise and passively induced hyperthermia. Experimental Physiology. 99(1): 136–148.
2013[edit | edit source]
- Rattray B and Smee D. Exercise improves reaction time without compromising accuracy in a novel easy to administer tablet-based cognitive task. Journal of Science and Medicine in Sport. 16(6): 567-570. DOI:10.1016/j.jsams.2012.12.007.
- Aitchison C, Turner L, Ansley L, Thompson KG, Micklewright D, St Clair-Gibson A. The inner dialogue and its relationship to perceived exertion during different running intensities. Perceptual and Motor Skills. 117(1): 1053-72.
- Périard JD, Thompson MW, Caillaud C and Quaresima V. Influence of heat stress and exercise intensity on vastus lateralis muscle and prefrontal cortex oxygenation. European Journal of Applied Physiology. 113(1): 211-222.
2012[edit | edit source]
- Swann C, Keegan RJ, Piggott D and Crust L. A systematic review of the experience, occurrence, and controllability of flow states in elite sport. Psychology of Sport and Exercise. 13(6): 807-819.
- Winchester R, Turner LA, Thomas K, Ansley L, Thompson KG, Micklewright D and St Clair Gibson A. Observer effects on the rating of perceived exertion and affect during exercise in recreationally active males. Perceptual and Motor Skills. 115(1): 213-227.
- Stone M, Thomas K, Wilkinson M, Jones A, St Clair Gibson A, and Thompson K. Effects of deception on exercise performance: implications for determinants of fatigue in humans. Medicine & Science in Sports & Exercise. 44(3): 534-541. (2011 IF: ).
- St Clair Gibson A, De Koning JJ, Thompson KG, Roberts WO, Micklewright D, Raglin J and Foster C. Crawling to the finish line - why do endurance runners collapse? Implications for understanding of mechanisms underlying pacing and fatigue. Sports Medicine 43(6): 413-24. DOI: 10.1007/s40279-013-0044-y.
- Bath D, Turner LA, Bosch AN, Tucker R, Lambert EV, Thompson KG and St Clair Gibson A. The effect of a second runner on pacing strategy and perceived exertion during a running time trial. International Journal of Sports Physiology and Performance. 7(1): 26-32. DOI: 10.1123/ijspp.7.1.26.
2011[edit | edit source]
- Stone MR, Thomas K, Wilkinson M, St Clair Gibson A and Thompson KG. Consistency of perceptual and metabolic responses to a laboratory-based simulated 4,000-m cycling time trial. European Journal of Applied Physiology. 111 (8): 1807-1813.
- Haskell CF, Thompson KG, Jones AM, Blackwell JR, Winyard PG, Forster J and Kennedy DO. Nitrate-rich beetroot juice modulates cerebral blood flow and cognitive performance in humans. Apetite, 57(2), 560.