For real-time chat with other Wikiversity users, in addition to live recent changes (find out more), several Internet Relay Chat (IRC) channels are located on the freenode network (website). Multilingual chat takes place on the hub channel, #wikiversity.
IRC client software 
- To Chat on IRC, you will need some type of IRC client. See the Comparison of Internet Relay Chat clients at Wikipedia.
- Note that IRC needs more care to maintain anonymity than Wiki editing does - details on this at m:IRC cloaks and w:Wikipedia:IRC channels
Web based versions 
- For web-based access to the IRC channels, you may use the CGI IRC platform at Wikizine.
- There is also the ChatZilla extension for Firefox.
- You can also try the Freenode qwebirc client
For most IRC clients you will start with a window you can enter information type "/server irc.freenode.com" and hit enter, this will connect you. Then you can do "/join #wikiversity-en" and this will join you to the room (replace #wikiversity-en with the room name of your choice).
Freenode IRC Network 
- #wikiversity (interlingual hub channel):
- #wikiversity-en English
- #wikiversity-cs česky (Czech)
- #wikiversity-de Deutsch (German)
- #wikiversity-el Ελληνικά (Greek)
- #wikiversidad español (Spanish)
- #wikiversity-fr français (French)
- #wikiversity-it italiano (Italian)
- #wikiversity-ja 日本語 (Japanese)
- #wikiversidade português (Portuguese)
- #wikiversity-pt português (Portuguese)
- ...this list may grow. Please coordinate new beta versions on #wikiversity
- #wikimedia is for discussion of Wikimedia Foundation issues.
- #wikimedia-tech is for discussion of technical issues relating to the Wikimedia servers.
- #wikimedia-toolserver is for discussion of technical issues relating to the Toolserver.
- In addition to the above channels, other Wikimedia projects have channels at Freenode. For example, Wikinews uses #wikinews and of course #wikipedia.
- #wikivoyage General channel of Wikivoyage
- #wikivoyage-es channel of Wikivoyage in spanish
- Important: It is a suggested Wikimedia meta-wiki guideline that meta:IRC channels prohibit the publishing of chat logs publicly. Wikiversity needs a policy for #wikiversity-en.
- #mediawiki is particularly for discussion about the MediaWiki software. See MediaWiki.org for guidelines
- #mediawiki-es Support of MediaWiki in spanish
- ...A host of free and open source software is developed and supported through FreenodeIRC. see Freenode.net for more information
- freenode's channel guidelines describe rules that every channel on their network must follow.
- Wikimedia's channel guidelines describes rules that all wikimedia project channels should follow.
Wikimedia IRC channels 
For keeping track of recent changes, about 500 channels are available on
irc.wikimedia.org/. These channels are "read only." (You can't actually "chat" there - they are only for reading broadcasts). see Recent changes channels for further details.
- #en.wikiversity - the Recent Changes channel for en.wikiversity.org
- #beta.wikiversity - the Recent Changes channel for beta.wikiversity.org
- #cvn-wv-en - countervandalism recent changes channel on freenode for en.wikiversity.org
Who's Who? 
Add your name and notes below if you like:
- CQ as "yeoman" on #wikiversity-en
- Mu301 as "mikeu" on #wikiversity-en and other freenode channels
- wikiversilinky your friendly IRC bot
- The Jade Knight as "JadeKnight" (or occasionally impersonating other users), on #wikiversity-en\
- eadthem as "eadthem", "coarsco", "ead" on #wikiversity-en (also non project rooms #robotics ##electronics #cprog)
See also IRColloquium - Internet Relay Colloquium, an attempt to see if holding IRC meetings on Wikiversity is feasible.
- Wikifier and WikipediaLink plugins for the Colloquy IRC client makes wikilinks clickable.
- w:User:Henna/VF is a Java program that gives a nice, customizable front end to the Recent Changes IRC channel.
- IRC channel cloaks - Request a Wikiversity IRC channel cloak
- Phenny, a free IRC bot
See also 
- Voice chat
- More details are on Meta.
- Meta:IRC channel cloaks provide information about obtaining a hostmask cloak.
- #wikiversidad - Chat for the Spanish language Wikiversity
- IRC tutorial at Wikipedia
- IRC at Wikibooks