Jump to navigation Jump to search
Wireshark is a free and open source packet analyzer used for network troubleshooting and analysis. These activities will show you how to use Wireshark to capture network traffic.
Readings[edit | edit source]
Preparation[edit | edit source]
To prepare for this activity:
- Start Windows.
- Log in if necessary.
- Install Wireshark.
Activity 1 - Capture Network Traffic[edit | edit source]
To capture network traffic:
- Start a Wireshark capture.
- Open a web browser and navigate to a favorite web site.
- Stop the Wireshark capture.
- Observe the traffic captured in the top Wireshark packet list pane.
- Select a packet you want to analyze.
- Observe the packet details in the middle Wireshark packet details pane.
- Expand various protocol containers to view detailed protocol information.
- Close Wireshark to complete this activity. Quit without Saving to discard the captured traffic.