Jump to navigation Jump to search
|This Wikiversity page is inactive and is of historical interest. You may discuss this page on the talk page, copy all or part of this page to another page for further editing or start a new discussion about this page at the Wikiversity:Colloquium.|
Brief summary of the original wikiversity proposal, which did not meet with complete approval.
Short summary of the old proposal
- A center of learning using Wikimedia projects content as course material.
- Initial scope of Wikiversity: something realistic that can be accomplished with the current set of tools available with MediaWiki software.
- Mission: to test the limits of the wiki model both for developing electronic learning resources as well as for teaching and for conducting research and publishing results within a policy framework developed by the community.
- Vision: a collaborative learning community structured to promote learning by engaging participants in scholarly activities within a wiki environment.
- Two goals were identified:
- E-teaching materials. The development and cataloging of tests, teaching materials that go beyond the scope of Wikibooks such as slides and videos, complete courses, and more. All this information must be presented from a neutral point of view and represent the current state of scientific research. Wikibooks will be used as a partner project where appropriate.
- E-learning. A framework within which members of the community can actually take courses online.
Evaluation of the old proposal
A vote was held on the Wikiversity project proposal. The proposal got the required 2/3 majority (shortly).
In November the Board discussed the Wikiversity project and requested modifications to the proposal:
- "Wikiversity proposal (http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Wikiversity) not approved, but we will approve it if some changes are made and if the community seems joyful about it, which may or may not require another vote. The board recommend rewriting the proposal to exclude credentials, exclude online-courses and clarify the concept of elearning platform. to be rewritten to exclude credentials and to clarify concept of e-learning."