Web Design/Create a simple mark-up language document to specification
This unit defines the competency required to design, create and save a simple mark-up language document to a given specification using a text editor rather than an authoring tool.
This competency can be viewed directly on the training.gov.au website:
The competency is outlined here together with ideas for demonstrating your competence as well as related modules where you can learn more skills relevant to this unit.
Performance Criteria[edit | edit source]
Realistically, this unit is best undertaken together with ICAB4171A Develop cascading style sheets as some of the performance criteria below (regarding document formatting and positioning) are ideally achieved with Cascading Style Sheets. Together these two units form a good grounding for ICAB4137A Produce basic client side script for dynamic web pages.
The following performance criteria come from the National unit of competency.
Elements[edit | edit source]
Analyse specification[edit | edit source]
- Determine the uses and audience of the document
- Determine the appropriate mark-up language based on the document uses and audience
- Determine relevant document structure
- Determine appropriate browser-safe colours
Create document structure to specification[edit | edit source]
- Create and assign the basic elements of the document, taking into account accessibility
- Add content text to the body of the document
- Save document using a descriptive name and an appropriate extension
Format document to specification[edit | edit source]
- Apply a suitable format for the text
- Apply a suitable background colour
- Apply suitable positional elements
- Create lists
[edit | edit source]
- Create tables
- Create hyperlinks, anchors and image maps for internal and external navigation
- Define the colours for unvisited, visited and active links
- Create hyperlinks for sending email
- Attach images in a suitable format
Validate documents[edit | edit source]
- Validate mark-up language document against specifications and record outcomes
- Validate mark-up language document in different browsers for compatibility and record outcomes
Ideas for demonstrating competence[edit | edit source]
- A Small Website Project - A small website project (with some advanced options) will provide an opportunity to demonstrate most, if not all of the outcomes for this unit of competence.
- Other ideas? Edit and add your own ideas for demonstrating competence in this unit!