U. S. Government/Societal Changes and Opportunities for Minorities
Changing patterns in American society at the end of WW2 changed the way most Americans lived and worked.
A. Factors leading to changing patterns in U.S. society
What factors led to changing patterns of society in the post-WW2 era?
- Strong economy (healthy job market, increased productivity, increased demand for American products)
- The Baby Boom1, which led to changing demographics (characteristics of a population)
- Interstate highway system.
- Changes in make-up of immigrants.
B. Better opportunities for military, women, and minorities
What policies and programs expanded educational and employment opportunities for the military, women, and minorities?
- Greater U.S. investment in education.
- Evolving role of women2
- Eleanor Roosevelt3
- African Americans' aspirations (goal) for equal opportunities. (Civil Rights Movement4)