Teaching EFL Listening via FUN WITH ENGLISH Books/7B/Lesson 12
Jump to navigation Jump to search
- 1 Lesson Objectives
- 2 Lesson Plan
- 3 Lesson Review
- 4 Appendix
- Class will begin on time with everyone in their seats.
- The Zoo chat will go for a while giving many students a chance to speak.
- The textbook will go quickly and the students will do what they are supposed to be doing.
- The Zoo activity will get the majority of the students speaking English and working together effectively.
- Before Class
- Get greetings powerpoint ready on the computer.
- 3 Minutes before class begins, Mr. Brown's students are out of the room and my students get in their seats.
- Greeting: What's up?
- Introduce/Reintroduce "What's the Craic?"
- Why is 6 afraid of 7?
- Zoo Chat
- What is a zoo?
- Do you like zoos?
- Why do people have zoos?
- Do animals like zoos?
- Would you like to live in a zoo?
- Textbook: Page 42 Let's get ready A&B
- Play music
- While the students are doing their work, bring them up 1 by 1 and discuss their grades.
- Textbook: Page 44 Let's listen 2
- Activity: Design your own zoo that animals will like.
- Make groups of 4 or 5 students.
- Have them answer three questions:
- What are 5 things animals like?
- How can you make a zoo animals like?
- What is the name of your zoo?
- Listening: Pop Music
- Extra Time
- Competetive Hangman
24 May 2010 AM Period 1 Grade 7 Class 1
- Arrived 2 minutes before class, but I got everyone in their seats to start class.
- What's up
- Did not go over "What's the craic?"
- Only about 80% of the class understood.
- Let's get ready + music + grades
- Students seemed to be interested in their grades but there was not a discernable impact on their behavior afterwards. Did not take too, too long to finish.
- Let's listen 2
- Many of them were talking, but those who wanted to hear, heard and participated
- Build a zoo
- They did not understand some of the vocabulary, but overall they seemed to be working.
- Pop music
- Tried "Numb" by Linkin Park first, which did not get much of a response then Beat It which was the same.
- Another groups based activity with the same groups?
- Stay patient.
24 May 2010 AM Period 3 Grade 7 Class 5
- Class was a little noisy at the beginning, but on the whole a huge improvement from usual.
- I arrived about 2 minutes before the bell and could not get them ready to go by the time the bell began.
- Quite poor, almost none of them know "Yo! What's up?"
- Got a lot of them thinking.
- Textbook let's get ready
- Let's listen 2
- Build a Zoo
- A lot of them did not understand the instructions for the game in English, so in the break a Chinese colleague wrote the pinyin for me. It helped. A couple of boys were running around the room, but for a lot of them were working.
- Pop music
- Listening to "Beat It!" got almost the whole class paying attention, which quite surprised me.
- A request was made for more Lady GaGa songs.
24 May 2010 AM Period 4 Grade 7 Class 6
- Did not go the grades with all the students in class, but I did chat with a few.
- Followed the same basic lesson plan as the two classes above.
- The majority of the class worked quite well in the zoo activity. A couple of the boys who did not, I had sit by themselves, which went alright.
24 May 2010 PM Period 2 Grade 7 Class 4
- Teacher stayed which helped me get everyone into seats and rows.
- Took the picture which they were not especially excited about.
- Zoo activity went fine aside from a few students who were running wild in the halls.
- Did not do the grades with this class.
- Told one girl I'd bring in American comics for them.
- I would like to thank all the 7th and 8th grade classes at Anqing Foreign Language School who had this lesson for their participation and feedback. I would also like to thank the Anqing Foreign Language School for allowing me to teach there.
- I get many ideas from Stuart Brown. (Mr. Brown).
- Marjorie King provided some feedback on my last lessons, that was built into this lesson. (King)
Version 0.2 23 May 2010