Talk:Helping Give Away Psychological Science/Coping with shooting
Discussion for editing the page:
Sometimes the audience changes-- from you to they
- I have done this for the first two sections "intro and what to expect"! Joshal (discuss • contribs) 22:15, 2 November 2018 (UTC)
Can be repetitive in places-- the symptoms mentioned in the top of the first week are reiterated at the bottom of the first week
"Don't worry about upsetting other people" when talking to them about the trauma needs to be re-worded. Emotional labor is difficult and the emotions of our friends and family as they support us through trauma should be considered.
- This is a great suggestion; I have changed the language to better reflect this -- Joshal (discuss • contribs) 14:51, 22 August 2019 (UTC)
"It is common over time to..." section goes on to say things that don't fit with the grammatical structure "It is common over time to physical complaints"
Give yourself a break section-- seems strange to tell a person one week after trauma to "let yourself have fun"
"Maintain a normal classroom"-- is specific to classroom
Overall Edits[edit source]
- Make the language more lay-person friendly (i.e., less clinical)
- Add some specific examples / vignettes to illustrate normal thoughts and feelings
- Include a section about talking to family members with disabilities
- Include more specifics (e.g., about finding a therapist and monitoring for distress)
Simplify/shorten sections to make the page easier to navigate and mobile-friendly
Possibly include a means for the religious community to get involved
Proposed Sections[edit source]
- Coping with hate-related violence / community violence
- Add resources for explaining traumatic events to children and adults with learning disabilities
Feedback: Intro sections[edit source]
I have made a bunch of changes to the text in the intro sections (the first three paragraphs and the part under What to expect). What do you think? Is this accessible? Does it provide a useful introduction to the rest of the page? Please respond here and let me know! Joshal (discuss • contribs) 18:24, 2 November 2018 (UTC)
Positive Ways to Cope[edit source]
Thank you Kate for editing this section. I think the content is good, but I have made some changed to the formatting. Could you please go through and copy the format I used for the first subsection for the rest of the sections? If you have any questions, just let me know. Thanks!Joshal (discuss • contribs) 19:22, 4 November 2018 (UTC)
Adding External Resources[edit source]
Way to go adding the external resources section! It's looking really great.