< TESOLJump to navigation Jump to search
Conversation strategies in ESL[edit | edit source]
- Debate: Any type of discussion where partners have opposing views.
- Speculation: Discuss a situation where the outcome is unknown.
- Consensus: Partners must reach the same view.
- Information gap: One partner must ask questions to discover some secret information, e.g. 20 questions.
- Ranking or Rating: Arranging in some order (ranking) or assigning a value on some scale (rating).
- Simulation or Role play: Acting out a situation as oneself (simulation) or as an imaginary character (role play).
These methods are especially useful for a broad range of mid-level students but can often be used for beginners or advanced students.
As always, key techniques to use with these are to:
- start with examples
- introduce kick-start phrases if necessary