TESOL/Borrow and lend
The words borrow and lend can be confusing for people learning English.
Listen[edit | edit source]
Meaning[edit | edit source]
Just remember borrow from and lend to.
- I borrow a book from the library.
- The library lends a book to me.
Mechanics[edit | edit source]
You can lend something to somebody, or you can lend somebody something.
- I will lend you my notebook.
- I will lend my notebook to you.
Borrow is different. You can only borrow something from somebody.
- Can I borrow your book from you?
Can I borrow you your book?
Practice[edit | edit source]