Survey research and design in psychology/Lectures/Exploratory factor analysis
Lecture 5: Exploratory factor analysis
This page is complete for 2018.
Outline[edit | edit source]
This lecture introduces and explains the use of exploratory factor analysis particularly for the purposes of psychometric instrument development. The lecture is accompanied by a computer-based tutorial about psychometrics.
Handouts[edit | edit source]
- Lecture slides (Google slides)
- 2018 handouts:
Readings[edit | edit source]
- Beavers, A. S., Lounsbury, J. W., Richards, J. K., Huck, S. W., Skiloits, G. J., Esquivel, S. L. (2013). Practical considerations for using exploratory factor analysis in educational research. Practical Assessment, Research & Evaluation, 18(6).
- Fabrigar, L. R., Wegener, D. T., MacCallum, R. C., & Strahan, E. J. (1999). Evaluating the use of exploratory factor analysis in psychological research. Psychological Methods, 4, 272-299.
- Floyd, F. J., & Widaman, K. F. (1995). Factor analysis in the development and refinement of clinical assessment instruments. Psychological Assessment, 7, 286-299.
- Howitt and Cramer (2014a). Chapter 31: Factor analysis: Simplifying complex data (pp. 423-443) UCLearn reading list (Exploratory factor analysis section)
- Streiner, D. L. (1994). Figuring out factors: The use and misuse of factor analysis. The Canadian Journal of Psychiatry, 39, 135-140.
- Tabachnick, B. G. & Fidell, L. S. (2007). Principal components and factor analysis. In Using multivariate statistics. (6th ed., pp. 607-675). Needham Heights, MA: Allyn & Bacon. UCLearn reading list (Exploratory factor analysis section)
- Wikiversity (2017). Exploratory factor analysis: Glossary.
- Williams, B., Brown, T., & Onsman, A. (2012). Exploratory factor analysis: A five-step guide for novices. Australian Journal of Paramedicine, 8(3).
Recording[edit | edit source]
- Lecture 05 recording (2018)
See also[edit | edit source]
- Correlation (Previous lecture)
- Psychometric instrument development (Next lecture)
- Exploratory factor analysis
- EFA practice quiz
- Psychometrics (Tutorial, with a focus on EFA exercises)
References[edit | edit source]
- Barkley, T. W. Jr., & Burns, J. L. (2000). Factor analysis of the Condom Use Self-Efficacy Scale among multicultural college students. Health Education Research, 15, 485-489.
- Comrey, A. L. & Lee, H. B. (1992). A first course in factor analysis (2nd ed.). Hillsdale, NJ: Erlbaum.
- Fehringer H. M. (2004). Contributions and limitations of Cattell's sixteen personality factor model. http://www.personalityresearch.org/papers/fehringer.html
- Ivancevic, V., Kaine, A., McLindin, B., & Sunde, J. (2003). Factor analysis of essential facial features. Paper presented to the 25th International Conference on Information Technology Interfaces (ITI), pp. 187-191, 16-19 June and 10th Meeting of Researchers in Biometrics,(BIOSTAT), 2003, Cavtat, Croatia. 
- Zimbardo, P. G., & Boyd, J. N. (1999). Putting time in perspective: A valid, reliable individual-differences metric. Journal of Personality and Social Psychology, 77, 1271-1288.