Social psychology (psychology)/Lectures/Relationships/Instructor notes
Jump to navigation Jump to search
What was done in 2008
- Removed animations
- Replaced many proprietary images (there are still several to be worked on) and added many free culture images
- Rationalised some slides (e.g., several are now hidden)
- Kept the Social Exclusion video in
- Adjusted master slides to aid visual clarity
- Didn't read chapter – near 0 pre-knowledge – this was poor
- Timing was better than 2007; approximately 30 in attendence
- Tended to read “down into the slides” a bit too much; rather than look at audience
- Skipped some slides back and forth; some re-ordering helpful; several slides skipped
- Somewhat mellowish/tiredish/stayed low key; 6.5/10
- The audio contains several additional comments
- Beauty activities worked well – add some more
- Add heat map of beauty marketing (available on web)
- Breaking before social exclusion
- Showing the social exclusion video at the start of Pt2
- It could be good to add a briefer summary slide of the consequences of social exclusion and to find /show relevant references (and effect sizes)
- Add slide/reference to Gottman's studies - “thin slices” (did provide a useful summary)
- Lienke's Law mentioned
- Showed 4 relationship adds at the end; worked; maybe 3 enough though (e.g. leave out plane add)
What's to be done
- Not all 2007 comments were addressed
- Not all animations were removed – grrrr (mostly the remaining ones are towards the end).
- If possible, reduce some image file sizes – the handout is almost 3MB
- This was "OK" e.g., 7/10 - no more.
- Intrinsically interesting topic
- I was a bit mellow/flat, but OK.
- Several slides were skipped - see video
- Took too long on initial material, so Social Exclusion was skipped
- Also, video on social exclusion wasn't shown bec. no audio from laptop - need additional cord.
- Basic structure of material is pretty good.
- Add slide back in about Harlow's Monkeys.
- Some proprietary images from the textbook used; replace these.
- What is love? Some more romantic, widespread, definitions?
- More activities (e.g., attractiveness) - these invariably worked nicely - build more of these.
- Not all animations removed
- Summary to be developed / relate to assessment items
- Add some assessment items around slides only presented in the lecture (i.e., around attractiveness)
- Need to generate assessment items for additional lecture content e.g., Hatfield's model
- 6 topics - 3 in each lecture half - overall, good scope and efficient - aiming to give 15-20 minute insight into each
- Time was about right; finished a few minutes early and had time to indulge a bit with each section
- At lecture break time, I showed the trailer for "An Inconvenient Truth" - could replace with trailer for Blue Eyes / Brown Eyes and Rwanda 3rd year videos.
(note that the trailer needed to be downloaded and buffered before the lecture started)
- Use document projector to show / pupil / faces from Manwatching and the Manwatching cover