Geography[edit | edit source]
Singapore contains the main island and some smaller islands. Singapore is an island south of the Malay Peninsula. The nearest oceans are the Pacific and Indian Oceans. The country is of total area, 719.1 sq km (277.6 sq mi).
History[edit | edit source]
Chinese and Indians migrated to the island from 2500 B.C. - 1500 B.C. The British grew interest in the country due to its spices brought from the migrators and the trading post of Singapore was founded by Sir Stamford Raffles in 1819. Singapore attained full internal self-government in 1959, and Lee Kuan Yew, a well educated poltician, took the helm as prime minister. On Sept. 16, 1963, Singapore joined Malaysia, Sabah (North Borneo), and Sarawak in the Federation of Malaysia. It resigned and became an independent country in 1965 as Lee Kuan Yew as the prime minister and Yusof bin Ishak as the first president of Singapore.
Under Lee's control, the country became a safe, clean and successful country. But in 1994, Micheal P. Fay, a teen from the United States traveled to Singapore and vandalized many cars. He got four canings, four months in jail and a fine of 3,500 Singapore dollars. Lee Kuan Yew became Senior Minister after Goh Chok Tong became prime minister. The current Prime Minister is Lee Hsien Loong, Lee Kuan Yew's son. The current president is Halimah Yacob.
Population of Singapore[edit | edit source]
|0-14 years old||15-64 years old||65 and Older|
|MEDIAN AGE:||40.5 years|
|MALE: 38.5 Years||FEMALE: 39.4 Years|
|BIRTH||9.4 / 1,000 pop.|
|DEATH||4.8 / 1,000 pop.|
|NET MIGRATION||13.6 / 1,000 pop.|
Life Expectancy[edit | edit source]
|INFANT MORTALITY RATE||LIFE EXPECTANCY AT BIRTH||LIFE EXPECTANCY AT 65 YEARS OLD|
|(PER 1,000 POPULATION)||(YEARS)||(YEARS)|
Works cited[edit | edit source]
- Visualising data - Population trends (PDF), www.singstat.gov.sg, retrieved 2017-05-12
- "Statistics Singapore - Age Pyramid of Resident Population". www.singstat.gov.sg. Retrieved 2017-11-30.
- "The World Factbook — Central Intelligence Agency". www.cia.gov. Retrieved 2017-11-30.
- "Statistics Singapore - Latest Data". www.singstat.gov.sg. Retrieved 2017-11-30.
- Births and deaths (PDF), www.singstat.gov.sg, retrieved 2017-05-12
- "Life expectancy at birth, total (years) | Data". data.worldbank.org. Retrieved 2017-11-30.
- "Statistics Singapore - Life Expectancy at Birth". www.singstat.gov.sg. Retrieved 2017-11-30.