Should polygamy be legal?
Jump to navigation Jump to search
Polygamy should be legal[edit | edit source]
Polygamy is the practice of marrying multiple spouses.
- Argument Everyone should be free to do anything that doesn't harm others. Marrying multiple people is a free choice between the parts involved and doesn't harm others, so it should be allowed.
- Argument against When polygamy is allowed, polygyny (one man, many women) becomes more common than polyandry (one woman, many men), so in practice a polygamous society leads to a polygynous soceity, which violates the dignity of women.
- Argument against Polygamy leads to some people having many spouses and others none, which generates resentment and destabilizes society.
- Objection There's also some people with a lot of money and others with none, which generates resentment and destabilizes society, but we don't forbid people from having a lot of money just because other people can't handle it.
- Objection In a monogamous society, there's some people with a spouse and others without, and that doesn't cause particular resentment or social instability.
- Argument against Polygamy implies that each spouse gets only a fraction of the time, attention, resources and love of their partner.
Polygyny should be legal[edit | edit source]
Polygyny is the practice of a man marrying multiple women.
Polyandry should be legal[edit | edit source]
Polyandry is the practice of a woman marrying multiple men.
See also[edit | edit source]
- Polygamy on Wikipedia