Self serve advertising
Self serve advertising is when individuals and organizations can log into websites and apps and purchase advertising that will be shown to users of such sites and apps, and this can be done without having to wait (in any significant way) on any response from any human agent in order for the ads to be served from users.
This area of this wiki is dedicated to learning, teaching, and researching about self serve advertising. Self serve advertising is related to areas of knowledge that include technology, software engineering, business, advertising, and marketing. It can even relate to politics!
Some of the biggest providers of self serve online advertising are Facebook, Twitter, and Google. These are for profit companies. Net profits from ads are given to shareholders. This system benefits the few at the expense of the many.
Facebook and Twitter earn money from advertising placed alongside original content created by members/users. Facebook and Twitter do not pay royalties to content creators/contributors.
There has been controversy related to self serve advertising. In 2016 elections in USA, self serve advertising was used in ways that may have violated election regulations to spread political ideas.
Discussion questions[edit | edit source]
- Can a nonprofit or decentralized organization (DAO) facilitate the creation of self serve advertising platforms that accept cryptocurrencies? Can such an organization use all profits for social good?
- Should minimum royalty laws exist?
- Newman's Own donates all profits to charities. Perhaps a nonprofit or DAO can exist that enables people to run self serve advertising on social media sites and also donate all net profits to charities. Is this a realistic endeavor?
- In what ways can self serve advertising be utilized to benefit all of humanity, and not mostly just shareholders of large social media companies?
Learning resources[edit | edit source]
Wikipedia[edit | edit source]
- Online advertising
- Cost per impression
- Contextual advertising
- Revenue sharing
- Ad exchange
- Advertising network
- Real-time bidding
- Social network hosting service
- Social network analysis software
- Social networking service
- Sociology of the Internet
- Digital sociology
- Social impact of YouTube
- Comparison of software and protocols for distributed social networking
- Mastodon (software)
- Mobile social network
External[edit | edit source]
- Political Advertising: What Effect on Commercial Advertisers?
- Learn about advertising from Harvard
- These Are the Ads Russia Bought on Facebook in 2016
- How Customers View Self-Service Technologies
- Tutorial: Building An Ad Platform With DFP
- Advertising and publicity
- Tips for creating an effective ad
- Business Models Based on Advertising
Collaboration[edit | edit source]
Are you interested in learning, researching, or teaching about self serve advertising and related topics? You can list yourself here.