Same-sex marriage (also known as gay marriage) is marriage between two people of the same biological sex and/or gender identity. Legal recognition of same-sex marriage or the possibility to perform a same-sex marriage is sometimes referred to as marriage equality or equal marriage, particularly by supporters. The legalization of same-sex marriage is characterized as "redefining marriage" by many opponents.
Views[edit | edit source]
Views against same-sex marriage[edit | edit source]
- Same-sex marriage is not natural, as to what most people who are anti-gay give the reason.
- Most reasons is that they do not have a baby, when a man and a women have sex, the women usually becomes pregnant, and gives birth naturally (usually). Here, if a man and a man (especially) or a women and a women get married, they cannot give birth to a baby, but some solutions to this problem is to adopt a baby, which everyone gives a reason too.
- Marriage has been defined as between a man and a woman for millennia.
- Marriage goes against certain religious beliefs.
Views in favor of same-sex marriage[edit | edit source]
- Same-sex relationships are prevalent in many species and therefore same-sex marriage is not unnatural.
- People can marry whomever they want, its not usually fair for other people to not let themselves marry to whomever they want to.
- Procreating is not a requirement for marrying someone (especially since infertile different sex couples can marry) and therefore same-sex couples should be able to marry even if they cannot reproduce with each other.
- If interracial couples being denied the right to get married because of their respective races is considered discrimination, then same-sex couples being denied the right to get married because of their respective genders should be considered discrimination as well.
- Not all marriages are religious in nature, and some religions actually accept same-sex marriage, so same-sex couples should be allowed to get married.
- Marriage is a human right and there is no valid reason to exclude same-sex couples from it.