The SNMP Service is a Windows service that provides a Simple Network Management Protocol (SNMP) agent that can be used to monitor and manage Windows workstations and servers. These activities will show you how to test the SNMP Service.
To prepare for this activity:
Activity 1 - Install the iReasoning MIB Browser Free Personal Edition
To install the iReasoning MIB Browser Free Personal Edition:
- Open a web browser.
- Navigate to http://www.ireasoning.com/downloadmibbrowserfree.php.
- Download and run setup.exe.
- If you see a User Account Control dialog box, select Yes to allow the program to make changes to this computer.
- Review the license agreement and select I Agree if you agree.
- Select Next > to select the default components.
- Select Install to install the program in the default location.
- Select Close when the installation is completed.
- Select Yes to launch the MIB Browser now.
Activity 2 - Test the SNMP Service
To test the SNMP Service:
- In the iReasoning MIB Browser, enter 127.0.0.1 in the Address box.
- Navigate to a subtree that interests you.
- In the Operations pulldown, select Get Subtree and Go.
- Observe the settings reported by the SNMP service.
- Continue selecting different subtrees and review reported settings.
- Close the iReasoning MIB Browser to complete this activity.