Private networks are networks that use a private Internet Protocol (IP) address space, following the standards described in Request for Comments (RFC) 1918 and 4193. These activities will review private networks, the relevant RFCs, and then show you how to identify whether or not your network is using the private IP address space.
Activities[edit | edit source]
- Read Wikipedia: Private network.
- Review RFC 1918 and RFC 4193 and compare the detailed specifications to the Wikipedia summary.
- Use Ipconfig to view your IP address.
- If you have an IPv4 address, review the private IPv4 address spaces and see if your IP address is within one of the private address ranges.
- If you have an IPv6 address, review the private IPv6 address spaces and see if your IP address is a unique local address (fc00::/7), site local address (fec0::/10), link local address (fe80::/10), or public address.