Open Conference on Open Education/Introductions and agenda
We met from 9 am in the new LIMS building, on the second floor, room 205. There was tea and coffee, and time to mingle and settle in. The introductory session started at 9.30 am.
Ruth Jelley began the day with some background on how the open conference came about, supported by John Hannon who explained the structure of the day. Both Ruth and John situated where we thought La Trobe University was in relation to open education resources and practices.
- Australian participation in Open Education Week: Ruth Jelley
- Format of the day's proceedings - how contributions/knowledge will be shared and recorded; the big questions that we hope to address/discuss John Hannon
- What is open? Definitions of open, open vs free access: Ruth Jelley. Background: Jelley, R (2013) OER Literarture Review. See also What is OER? for a quick overview.
- Where we sit with intellectual property policy at La Trobe La Trobe University IP policy :"The University encourages the authors of Teaching Materials to consider making such materials publicly and freely available, e.g., via the internet, or publishing commercially providing that those materials are not subject to a prior third party agreement, such as a contract for the design or delivery of a course or training program."
Introductions to people in the room (approx. 24 in attendance). A few people are new to open education as a concept.
Attendance list taken by John Hannon.
Going round the room:
- Occupational therapy
- Wikipedia Medical Editor
- Marco Polo project www.marcopoloproject.org
- La Trobe senior exec
- La Trobe teaching and learning centre La Trobe Curriculum, Teaching and Learning Centre
- LTU Humanities
- CTLC personal technologies in learning, e.g. Pebble pad
- University of the Third Age - technology enhanced learning and open education are not synonymous www.u3a.org.au
- La Trobe iTunesU
- Public Health and human biosciences
- People's Health Movement - health activism in developing countries
- School of Public Health - Department of Community Health. Wikiversity. Open Source Software
- Bendigo Health Sciences
- Library, Royal Melbourne Hospital - health literacy
- Faculty of Business Economics and Law - move from face to face to online learrning
- Digital infrastructure at La Trobe - eRepository www.latrobe.edu.au/researchonline
- Research Development at La Trobe
- Dietetics and Nutrition
How should an institution like La Trobe think about open education - what recomendations would you make?
This event came about from a number of La trobe staff realising there was no Australian institution doing anything for Open Education Week