Multicultural Perspectives on Health and Wellbeing/Project proposal
You are to develop and describe a project that may help create a safe and supportive environment for a specific group of people wanting to progress through formal tertiary education. Your specific group will derive from your Group presentation assignment.
People's health and wellbeing has been shown to be linked to their educational outcomes. Finding ways to sustain and progress their education should therefore have mid to long term impacts on their overall health and well-being. Feeling welcome, safe and supported in their studies may have a positive impact on their educational progress.
You are to consider a specific group of people in a society who arguably do not feel welcome, safe or supported in an educational setting. You should identify the range of reasons as to why they may feel unwelcome, unsafe and unsupported, and devise a small intervention that aims to alleviate at least one of those reasons. You should use a theoretical framework or guidelines that supports the promotion of cultural sensitivity in the proposed intervention.
This assignment is intended for you to demonstrate an ability to identify barriers to people's progression in education, and therefore health and wellbeing, and develop an achievable solution to that barrier. This assignment addresses all three learning outcomes for this subject.
Criteria[edit | edit source]
- A project brief (1750-2000 words) following the [[/template/]].
- Brief explains the reasons why the project is needed.
- include references to literature on links between educational outcomes and health and wellbeing
- Brief identifies a target group (being careful not to identify anyone in particular):
- describes a range of barriers to their feelings of being welcome, safe and supported in an educational setting;
- proposes a project to reduce or eliminate one or more of those barriers;
- and explains or gives an example of how people's education can be affected by their sense of being welcome, safe and supported.
- Uses a theoretical framework or guidelines that promote cultural sensitivity in the intervention
- Gives an indication of the resources and timeframe needed to carry out the proposal
- Uses references, hyperlinks and citations to support the brief
- Uses images, graphics and or media to illustrate the brief
- Adherence to copyright law with regards to any third party content used (such as images and audio)
Assessment[edit | edit source]
This assignment is intended for you to demonstrate an ability to identify barriers to people's progression in education, therefore health and wellbeing, and develop an achievable solution to that barrier. This assignment addresses all three learning outcomes for this subject.
Feedback may be given as you develop and progress your proposal on your Wikiversity user page. It would be of benefit to you and others if you started this project early.
Tutorial support[edit | edit source]
Tutorial time will be set aside to support the completion of this assignment. We suggest you follow the steps below, and attend tutorials to get help with these steps if needed:
- Approaching the assignment, thinking about being welcome, safe and supported in tertiary education
- Looking at each other's work so far
- Sourcing and placing images and media
- Progressing your proposal beyond this subject assignment
Further Help[edit | edit source]
Tips and suggestions in the Multicultural Perspectives on Health and Wellbeing Project Brief template
- Your project brief does not have to be in text form.
- Be creative in how you conceive and present your brief.
- Use a medium which is familiar to your target group.
Note: The project brief should be a coherent comprehensive work with a logical flow.
Examples[edit | edit source]
Exceptional works will be listed here.