The links on this page and the software itself have not been validated or verified to be free of risk. Unless otherwise noted, they have been added by anonymous editors. If any registered editor with a substantial contribution history is willing to validate and certify these programs, please sign the listing as "validated." Otherwise this page exists for research purposes. I suggest googling a name before loading it, to find reviews, unless you very much know what you are doing.
Free mathematics software (freeware)[edit | edit source]
The below are open source tools and mostly available on GNU/Linux, and can run on other platforms too:
- GeoGebra - open source software for dynamic geometry, algebra and calculus for middle/high school and college. Exports interactive web pages.
- Kig A GUI based geometry editor. Includes some analytical functions and conic sections. Exports to several formats including SVG.
- Newt - free graphing program for windows
- Maxima - open source symbolic maths program, like Mathematica and Maple
- SymPy - open source computer algebra software, written in Python.
- Axiom - another open source symbolic maths program
- r- open source version of S-plus, a statistics program
- TeXmacs - WYSIWYG LaTeX
- Calc - an interactive RPN calculator package for numerical and symbolic calculations in Emacs
- Calcpad - free programmable engineering calculator for cloud and desktop
- gnuplot is a free graphing program for Linux, Windows and Mac
- GraphCalc - A free, open source 2D/3D graphing application. (Windows)
- Graph - Graph is an open source application used to draw mathematical graphs in a coordinate system (Windows)
- GNU Octave - Matlab clone for Linux, Windows and Mac
- Python numarray, powerful numerical calculations in a powerful programming language
- scilab - Matlab clone
- DataMelt - Java clone of Matlab. Also includes scripting languages (Python, Groovy etc) on Java for math and data analysis
- Qalculate - Multipurpose and very powerful desktop calculator
- SAGE - is a free open-source computer algebra system that includes programs for research and teaching in algebra, geometry, number theory, and cryptography. SAGE is mainly written in Python and provides interfaces to other mathematics packages.
- SciPy - SciPy is an open source library of scientific tools for Python
- Formulator Tarsia - is a free mathematical editor designed for teachers of mathematics creating the activities in a form of jigsaws, rectangular cards or dominos for later use in a class.
- Armadillo - Fast C++ matrix library with optional interfaces to LAPACK and ATLAS
- Pari/GP - number theory computations
- Microsoft Mathematics Very useful math app for Windows
Non-free software[edit | edit source]
- Mathematica - Advanced commercial math program. (Linux, Macintosh, Windows)
- Maple - Mature commercial math program. (Linux, Macintosh, Windows)
- Maple Studio Free online worksheet for plotting, based on Maple. (Browser with Java-Plugin like Mozilla, Internet Explorer, Safari)
- MuPad - Another advanced math program with free versions available. (Linux, Macintosh, Windows)
- Magma - Powerful package for solving computational problems in algebra.
- MatDeck - Advanced mathematical software with programming at affordable cost