Nǐ hǎo! Welcome to Mandarin One! This self-paced course will help introduce students to the basic spoken Mandarin and written Chinese language as learned in a first semester college course. This is for people studying for a test, like HSK, or while refreshing their knowledge before taking a more advanced course. At the same time it is meant to be as practical as possible for the person that simply wants to pick up some Chinese before their next trip.
- Those wishing to learn the Traditional Character set can do so by using the new Simplified Chinese to Traditional Chinese translation tool on Google while studying these lessons.
Course Outline[edit | edit source]
- Chapter One - Pronouncing Single Syllables
- The four tones and Hanyu Pinyin.
- Finals and Initials
- Chapter One Quiz
- Chapter Two - Pronouncing Syllables in Combination
- Numbers 1-10
- Brief Chinese History
- Chapter Two Quiz
This Lesson introduces the vocabulary for an introductory conversation. This section also contains a brief introduction to Chinese names. The method for counting from 11 to 99 will be introduced.
- Chapter Three Vocabulary - 生字
- Chinese Names - 名字
- Dialogue - 对话
- Introductions - 介绍
- Activity - What is your name? (你的名字是什么？)
- Numbers 11-99 - 号码 十一到九十九
- Asking for Help - 问题
- Chapter Three Quiz - 第三课 小考
- Chapters One - Three Test 第一章 第三棵 考试
- Chapter Four Vocabulary - Hěn gāoxìng rènshì nín. (Glad to meet you.)
- Introduction to Chinese Writing
- Grammer - Pronouns
- Numbers 100-300
- Chapter Four Quiz
- Chapter Five Vocabulary - Nǐ yǒu méiyǒu xiōngdì jiěmèi? (Do you have brothers or sisters?)
- Celebrations and Festivals
- Chapter Five Quiz
- Chapter Six Vocabulary - Nǐ xiànzài yǒu méiyǒu shì? (Is there anything you have to do now?)
- Writing Chinese Characters
- Chapter Six Quiz
- Chapters Four-Six Test
- Chapter Seven Vocabulary - Nàme, nǐmen mài shénme? (Well, then what do you sell?)
- Shopping, How Much?
- Chapter Seven Quiz
- Chapter Eight Vocabulary - Nǐmen yǒu fàngjiān ma? (Do you have any rooms?)
- Chapter Eight Quiz
- Chapter Nine Vocabulary - Nǐmen dǎsuàn zhù duōjiǔ? (How long do you plan to stay?)
- Chapter Nine Quiz
- Final Exam
Materials Needed for Mandarin One[edit | edit source]
Required Texts[edit | edit source]
- Williams, P.F.C., & Wu, Y.(1999). Chinese: The Easy Way. New York: Barron's Educational Series, Inc.
- Chinese Wikibook
Required Free Software[edit | edit source]
- Dim Sum: Chinese Reading Assistant and Dictionary
- Shared Talk Language Exchange Network - for email and chatting with fluent speakers
- Lab Recording: Mandarin syllables recorded on the Mandarin_sounds.zip file from chinese-lessons.com (same as the recordings used in the Dim Sum program).
Supplemental Materials[edit | edit source]
- A comprehensive Chinese (Pinyin) - English Dictionary
- Tao, S.(2005). Chinese Learning Cards for HSK Beijing: Morning Glory Publishers
- Lafayette De Mente, B.(1995). Chinese in Plain English Chicago: Passport Books
Online Reference[edit | edit source]
- Nciku online interactive dictionary - Dictionary, Pronunciation, Dialogues, Character Writing
- Yellow Bridge online vocabulary resource - Dictionary, Flashcards, Character Writing
- Google Translate basic online translation for web pages and text - Rudimentary translation