List of protosciences
This is a list of protosciences. Protosciences include new area of scientific endeavor in the process of becoming established. It can include speculative sciences. This list includes science fields and science theories presented in accordance with known evidence, and a body of associated predictions have been made according to that theory, but the predictions have not yet been tested.
Some protosciences go on to become a widely accepted part of science, such as plate tectonics which eventually became an accepted scientific model. Other protoscientific theories end up being disproven. If their followers refuse to accept the falsification of their theories, protoscience can then become regarded as pseudoscience. The falsification of the original theory sometimes leads to reformulation of the theory.
Note: Idiosyncratic theories, or theories with an extremely small base of followers or peculiar to an individual, are not encyclopedic and should not be included. Pure pseudoscience should not be included either.
List[edit | edit source]
- w:Abiogenesis is a companion to w:Evolutionary biology, based on Biochemistry & Geology, and seeks to explain the origin of terrestrial life from a completely non-living early Earth.
Alchemy. This protoscience set the stage for modern chemistry. There were several aims in alchemy for example transforming base metals such as lead or copper into silver or gold and to discover a cure for disease and a way of extending life.
- w:Binaural beats is the use of two different audio tones to produce a unique tone in Hertz in the brain for health benefits.
- w:Cryonics is the practice of preserving humans and pets by storing them at w:cryogenic w:temperatures - where w:metabolism and w:decay are almost completely stopped - for the purpose of future reanimation. Unlike w:cryogenics, cryonics is not an established science and is viewed with skepticism by most scientists and doctors today. But there is a disproportionately large number of scientists among cryonicists.
- w:Grand unification theory is a theory in physics that unifies the w:strong interaction and w:electroweak interaction.
- w:M-theory is a solution proposed for the unknown w:theory of everything which would combine all five w:superstring theories and 11-dimensional w:supergravity together. According to Dr. w:Edward Witten, who proposed the theory, mathematical tools which have yet to be invented are needed in order to fully understand it.
- w:Neurocardiology is a theory in w:Medicine that the heart is more similar to the brain and nervous system than the other organs in the body because of its complex internal firing mechanisms
- w:Oneirology the study of dreams.
- w:Psychoanalysis is the practice of exploring the w:unconscious mind for explanations of conscious social and mental behaviors.
- w:Sociobiology is a synthesis of scientific disciplines that attempts to explain behaviour in all w:species by considering the w:evolutionary advantages of social behaviours.
- w:Socionics is a theory of interpersonal relationships between w:personality types, loosely based on w:Carl Jung's psychic-function model of the personality.
- w:Technological singularity represents an "event horizon" in the predictability of human technological development past which present models of the future cease to give reliable or accurate answers, following the creation of w:strong artificial intelligence or the amplification of human intelligence.
- w:Theory of everything (TOE) is a theory of w:theoretical physics and mathematics that fully explains and links together all known physical phenomena. Initially, the term was used with an ironic connotation to refer to various overgeneralized theories. Over time, the term stuck in popularizations of w:quantum physics to describe a theory that would unify the theories of the four w:fundamental interactions of nature.
- w:Transpersonal psychology is a school of psychology that studies the transcendent, or spiritual dimensions of humanity. Among these factors we find such issues as w:self-development, w:peak experiences, w:mystical experiences and the possibility of development beyond traditional w:ego-boundaries.