This tutorial is geared toward users who have never used Linux before or who have only very minimal experienced. Before doing a full install of Linux as the only OS on a machine, it is easy to install it on VirtualBox to run at the same time as the host OS. New users will have the benefit of using Linux whenever they want while being able to fall back on Windows or Mac OS X.
- Begin by installing VirtualBox for the relevant OS.
- Download the most recent version of Ubuntu Linux.
- Create a new virtual machine in VirtualBox. Add 100GB of storage and 2 GB of RAM.
- Start the VM and select the Ubuntu image to boot from.
- Follow the directions in the installer.
- Restart after installation.
- After rebooting, go to the devices tab and insert the Guest Additions CD and run it when prompted.
- After the installation completes, reboot. You will be able to resize the VM window and use it in full screen mode.