Introduction to Sport Coaching
Sport coaching requires sound understanding of athlete development and effective communication strategies. Introduction to Sport Coaching provides fundamental understanding of the coaching and officiating process. A background to coaching will be presented initially and will consider the history of sport coaching and the requirements of sport coaching, including coaching ethics, code of conduct and the various leadership / management styles of a coach. Effective group management techniques will then be demonstrated in various practical sporting contexts. The principles of training will then be considered including the 5 S's of training and the use of game sense training in relevant sports. Sport coaching will then be examined with respect to specific population groups, including children, older adults, females, athletes with a disability and athletes from various cultural backgrounds. Finally, the future of sport coaching will be considered. The concepts explored in Introduction to Sport Coaching are expanded in Sport Strength and Conditioning and Assessment of Sport Coaching.
- Apply a basic coaching principles and plans as well as group management and time strategies to teach sport skills
- Demonstrate an understanding of the training requirements for various sports and different populations
- Conduct and interpret the results from a range of fitness and sport-specific tests
- Background to sport coaching including accreditation and history
- Risk management and ethics in sport coaching
- The role of a coach including leadership and management in sport
- Group management techniques in sport coaching
- Application of training principles and designing training plans
- Long-term athlete development models and the application in sport coaching
- Coaching various populations groups including children, older adults, female athletes, athletes with a disability and athletes from different cultures
- Future of sport coaching
- ASC, Beginning Coaching, Australian Sports Commission
- Australian Sports Commission online coach development courses including beginning coaching principles, introductory level officiating, Play by the Rules Coaches and Officials.
- Coaching practical to assess the effective delivery of a sport skills session.
- Examination to assess the application of concepts presented in Introduction to Sport Coaching.