Internet and Project Competence/group5
Interaction between children and nature
The group members[edit | edit source]
- Robbins, Lindsay M.
- Hendrix, Dennis C.
- Bolick, Megan L.
- Stacy, Ashley E
- Jones, Whitney S.
- ElliA Elisabeth Altmann
- Gergana Georgieva
- Desislava Maneva
- Michelle Hemraj
final powerpoint[edit | edit source]
Working area: the questionnaire[edit | edit source]
Everyone needs to ask these questions to 2 or 3 students from their country and then create a slide that shows your results...this slide doesnt have to be the exact answers from your survey just an overall view of how your kids interact with nature.. then we can put them all together and make a few final slids comparing the different countries.
1. Personal Questions
- How old are you?
-what grade are you in?
- Mark with a cross: Girl o Boy o
- Describe where you live:city/village/town
2. How would you describe nature?
3. What animals do you offen see in nature?
4. Have you ever planted any plant?
Describe how you have taken care of it?
5. how much time during the week do you spend outside at home? what activities do you participate in?
6. How much time do you spend outdoors during the school day? What types of activities do you do?
7.What natural phenomenons have you seen? Describe them? (Suggestions: mist, rainbow, hail, dew, frost, a solar eclipse, etc.)
8. How do you think pollution affects our enviornment?
9. How much time do you spend a week watching tv/playing video games or using a computer?
what types of thing to you watch or play while watching tv or using a computer?
- edited by HemrajM
- edited by Elisabeth A.
- i wrote what i thought about the questions so that we can get them finalized and deside what questions we are asking... we really need to know by sometime this weekend so we can do this with our students next week....it is our last week in our schools.....i think we need to keep it somewhat simple...Thanks Megan
- HemrajM- I think we should take off the question about the dreamhouse, making it 10 questions; add an age/school/country/male-female section, and finalize.
- i canged some of the questions to see more how children interact with nature. i think through these we can see how children really interact with nature....i think we should stick to 2 or 3 students per person so we really have time to analyze the results. i hope this is what we can finalize the questions as???? we just need to know what questions we will be asking our students....because it need to be done in the next week or so....so we have time to compare our results.......Thanks Megan
Conclusion Questionnaire[edit | edit source]
okay, we have to work on it :)
All of the children we interviewed live in Sofia. Sofia is a big, populated city. It has much cars but not enough trees or parks. We interviewed 29 children, 17 of them boys and 12 girls.
1. They describe nature as beautiful, talented and capable of creating a lot of different things. “Nature is beautiful, because it has a lot of things which she can create, and we can’t. It has a lot of different and beautiful plants and animals.”
2. Children point at cats, dogs and doves as the most common animals they see. These animals could be seen especially in big cities. We have three children who have pointed to a squirrel, a deer and a dolphin as animals they’ve seen (they are an exception).
3. Almost none of the children have planted a plant, but it is observed interest in some of tem to do it if they have the opportunity and somebody shows them how.
4. Most of the children say they go to play with their friends. There’s one that says: “I take care of my cat. I and my friend cure the animals around the block.”
5. They go to the snack bar or out at the schoolyard to play.
6. They can describe what happens to them and how they feel when some of the listed phenomenon occurs. Some of them have tried to describe the phenomenon. “I have seen dew on flowers. It looks like water. Mist is not common to see. When you look around you can’t see anything. The rainbow is very beautiful and has seven colors. Hail is rain of little icy bolls. Frost looks like snow. It is like white powder.”
7. They all agree pollution is “a bad thing”. It is when people throw garbage in the water and into the soil. One of the kids says: “I think soon we will have to leave our planet with a ship and leave robots to clean it up.”
8. Unfortunately, even though a lot of them say they play out, they also spend a lot of time watching TV or playing games on their computer. The interesting part is they know they don’t have to but they do it.
As a conclusion we can give our recommendations about how children can increase their understanding of nature, and their contact with it. The ultimate answer is spending more time playing outside, being shown how to grow a plant and take care of it, show them how an animal should be loved, and get them away from computer games and TV.
-american students are aware of nature like they know how to take care of plants and things that you would find in nature but they do not spend much time actually interacting with nature..... for powerpoint: What affect technology has on the interaction between children and nature? in the USA-kids spend alot of time watching tv and playing video games.....is that the same in yall countries????
What affect crime has on children not being able to go out and play? -here in America parents are afraid to just let their children go out and play....so that is one reason children dont play outside as much. How is the crime rate in yalls countries??? is that a big reason for you guys or is there something else that affects the interaction? or do you guys kids play outside more?
and then we also found that the generation of playing outside is slowly decresing....We as 20 year old spent alot of time outside but now the generation does not spend their time out doors but rather inside....this shows us that in the future kids will be less and less exposed to the outdoors. do you guys see this occuring in your countries?????
- Question 2: Nature is seen as something beautiful where animals are free, trees grow and it is green. Children make a diffrence between the world of the nature and the world of the people. (for example "Nature is that what the earth made, it is the world of the animals.", "forests, grassland, places that are not covered with buildings.") - Question 3: At most children are aware of birds and different insects (spider, ant). They don't distihguish between wild living animals (deer, fox) and pets (cat, dog). - Question 4: Most of the children have already planted a plant. - Question 5: Children spend lot of time outside the house. After school they meet their friends to play; they go by their selves. Eichstätt has no problem with crime. - Question 6: Most of the children use their recess to play or eat. Nothing special. - Question 7: They experience nature phenomena very detailed. - Question 8: the believe of the results of pollution are based on imagination and fragments, they probably got from media and adults. It seems like apocalypse will arrive ;) (for example That sometimes the world will explode", "Animals die out and we we can not make basic materials any more" - Question 9: Curios is the fact that girls are not interested in playing computer games. The boys spend on average 34 minutes a day to play computer. On average children (boys and girls) whatch TV 60 minutes a day. Above all they watch animations (Naruto, Yogio, Pokemon, Kim Possible)
As a conclusion we can say the interviewed children play computer and watch TV, but they also spend a lot of time outside the house. So there is a health balance between technical "activities" and activities in nature. Although nature is formative for them.
KWL CHART[edit | edit source]
|WHAT I KNOW||WHAT I WANT TO KNOW||WHAT I LEARNED|