History of Quebec and Canada/Study Guide/Topic 2: Cartier's Voyages
Topic 2: Cartier's Voyages[edit | edit source]
Why did France send Jacques Cartier to explore North America ?
In the 15th century, Spain and Portugal began to explore America. Since they found gold and other riches in their new colonies, the —King of France also became interested — In 1524, an Italian named Giovanni da Verrazano was sent by the king of France to explore the east coast of North America. He hoped to find a route to China further to the north. He sailed northwards along the coast but failed to find the passage to China. Ten years later, in 1534, France sent Jacques Cartier to explore America.
His mission had three purposes:
- find a route to Asia
- bring back gold and other riches
- claim land for the king of France.
In 1534, Cartier explored and mapped the Gulf of St. Lawrence. On the banks of the Gaspé peninsula he erected a cross and claimed the land in the name of the king of France. He met friendly Natives willing to trade furs for trinkets. Although gold was not found, he reported the abundance of fish, timber and furs. He also felt that a wide river flowing from the west could be a promising route to China.
In 1535, Cartier arrived with three ships. He sailed up the big river which he named the St. Lawrence River.He reached the Indian villages of Stadacona (now Quebec) and Hochelaga (now Montreal). Friendly Natives showed the French explorers how to survive the cold and scurvy in the winter. Cartier and his men returned to France in 1536 bringing with them five Natives, including Chief Donacona. In 1541, Cartier returned and attempted to set up a colony near Stadacona. Missionaries hoped to convert the Natives to the Christian religion. The settlement however was abandoned in 1542 and France lost interest in the colony. No one returned for the next 60 years.
1. WHICH PAIR OF STATEMENTS DESCRIBES A GOAL OF FRANCE AND A RESULT OBTAINED BY JACQUES CARTIER?
A) GOAL-to find aaron.
- RESULT-He proved that the world was round.
B) GOAL-To find a new route to Asia.
- RESULT-He claimed territory in the name of France.
C) GOAL-To improve existing maps.
- RESULT-He mapped the Canadian Shield
D) GOAL-To convert native populations.
- RESULT-He brought back spices and silk.
2. A certain French explorer accomplished the following things during his voyages to America.
He claimed territory in the name of the king of France. He made contact with the Amerindians. He explored and mapped the shores of the St. Lawrence River.
WITH WHAT PERIOD OF HISTORY ARE THIS EXPLORER'S VOYAGES ASSOCIATED ?
A B C D /______________/______________/______________/_____________/
1400 1450 1500 1550 1600
3. WHAT WERE TWO RESULTS OF JACQUES CARTIER'S VOYAGES?
1. He established a permanent colony on the shores of the St. Lawrence River
2. He explored the Gulf of St. Lawrence and the St. Lawrence River.
3. He discovered a new route to Asia.
4. He brought back gold and spices.
5. He claimed the new territory for France.
Go On To Topic 3: Geographic ConditionsHistory_of_Quebec_and_Canada/Study_Guide/Module_1_:_The_French_Empire_in_North_America