Higher education for sustainable development
Higher Education for Action to Better World, and Sustainable Development;
The International Education Charter is a declaration of fundamental principles guiding youth education worldwide in the 21st century. Created by global civil society, CCLP Worldwide and endorsed by thousands of members, volunteers, organizations, institutions and individuals engaged in promoting the position of youth, the International Education Charter is not only a call to action, but a motivating force inspiring change the world over. The International Education Charter is being implemented into the Declaration of Higher Education for the 21st century by UNESCO, and Ten Principles of United Nations Global Compact for the purposes of creating and a more purposeful and sustainable future for today’s youth.
Recognizing the facts that
At an individual level, there are clear links between education and poverty and education and health and well-being.
Poor levels of education are a root cause of political instability, vast inequality across the globe in terms of social and economic development.
Extreme poverty and misuse of human resources also result from an undereducated population.
Suppression of democracy and rampant corruption practices are outcome of undereducated or ill educated citizenry.
Low educational levels can lead to a poor infrastructure and potential inter country disputes.
Undereducated Society remains silent to reckless use of natural resources and serious problem of fragile environment.
Morally, a poor commitment to education leads to wasted human potential.
We consider it important that
Higher education in the world has a vital role for man self-assertion, and is a very important factor for change the man in the singular, or as society in general where the youth will apply their acquired knowledge and consequently change the world in general, hence there is urgent need for a lasting partnership between the institutions of higher education, the labor market and the reality of society where it should be inserted as to achieve their objectives, Community objectives and of the Millennium in General.
By raising education levels for all youth on a global scale, young people will be enabled to make fundamental improvements to their societies especially in the realm of international relations. There should have a strong motivation for youth, this motivation that can only be awakened by competent educators, sensitive to youths' difficulties, they can submit appropriate methodologies, illustrators of the subjects in studies and facilitates retention and understanding of them for better application on the ground.
Governments, higher education institutions, non-governmental organizations (NGOs) and society at large have joint responsibility to uphold the spirit of this international declaration and give priority to the education of our world’s youth.
Founding Principles for International Declaration
1. Equality stands for Education for every one
2. Accountability stands for responsibility of Government for education
3. Integrity stands for the cohesive force for igniting the movement
4. Solidarity stands for fellowship arising from common responsibilities and interests
5. Courage stands for brave face of society to promote the education for every one
6. Justice stands for rights of every citizen to receive proper education
Joint Call for action
1. Transforming the national higher education system should be a priority for each country in the world
2.Each country should create a community help center for promoting and monitoring education at all levels
3.Develop a system of collaboration with systems to achieve the most effective results from education
4.Facilitate communication between education systems and the citizens
5.Legislation and systematic plan to curb the commercialization of higher educational institutions
6.Responsive actions against corruption at all levels of education
Implementation of Universal declarations in the area of Human Rights labor, Environment and Anti Corruption towards Higher Education system
More than 40 years ago the Universal Declaration of Human Rights state that each individual has a right to an education.
1. Good governance legislation and actions to penalize unsustainable actions and encourage sustainable actions in Higher Education;
2. Improve the profiles of higher education institutions to motivate students, teachers, employers and society in general;
3. Ensure the implementation of plans and programs of educational activities and national policies if are correctly implemented;
4. Environmental protection in general
5. Preservation of Human Rights, Peace and Security
6. Standardize higher education equally at international level;7. Avoid the design of particular policies for higher education;
1. Promote an environment which ensures the free flow of knowledge to all sections of society
2. Create strong programs that support increasing the number of educated youth in our global society
3. Nurture existing socio-cultural and intellectual strengths
4. Build a foundation for the education of workers and thinkers that can thrive in a global society
5. Develop an inter-cultural, international and multilingual curriculum for higher education institutions worldwide
6. Implement non-discrimination policies (including sex, race, age, color, and religion) in education institutions
1. Competent and educated workforce to take new challenges of the society
2. Neutralize the gap between educational deficit and economic surplus amongst nations and continents to avoid exploitation in terms of Outward migration of Human brain
3. Strong political social and economical decision making power to mitigate any corresponding loss
4. To understand how society interpret Quality of life;
5. Self Thinker and Maker;
Responsibilities of high education institutions-government-NGOs- society
To have a Higher Education for Action to Better World, and Sustainable Development, it is necessary that all actors plays an action-generating changes such as the: Government, Universities, NGOs, and civil society, they must have a responsibility to make the higher education a complex network, inclusive, functional and meaningful for the formation of an able man. For this, each of the intermediaries has definite role to play
Government as the basis of a country has the great responsibility of trigger mechanisms to create public or private universities. So, have the following responsibilities:
1 Creating More universities, or infrastructure development;
2 Establishment of rational policies governing these universities;
3-Reconstruction of National Education Systems to promote greater interaction between the legislature of Education and the Executors of these policies by giving responsibilities for better distribution of resources over the territory;
4 You should put on the agenda for political and governance plans developed by managers of higher education is seen that these institutions may see the improvements of the country;
5-They should inspect the institutions of higher education, to demand quality education;
6-The government should enhance education professionals in order to ensure the quality of their performance;
7-Should set parameters, quality Middle school that promotes selfstudy of the student learns to have a critical thinking;
8-To ensure more democratic access to higher education;
9-Governments should create research centers to gain answers to the challenges of sustainable development and life on the planet.
10-Establish partnerships for external training of their professional and academic exchanges, etc.
INSTITUTIONS OF HIGHER EDUCATION
The university shall act as the agent that enforces these policies and laws.As the institution that trains and educates people to be successful in society, the university will be the foundation for implementing the principles outlined in this charter. Therefore, the university will have unique responsibilities:
1. Should seek to establish links between the present knowledge with knowledge of the future, providing a quality education, forming citizens committed to human social life and prepared for the challenges of a society increasingly under constant development, information and knowledge.
2. Train workers with the skills to address the needs of society
3. Give priority to the teachers and instructors providing them with living wages and ongoing professional development
4-Create opportunities to exchange experiences and collective construction of knowledge with other universities for students and teachers, provide access to computers, to the Internet all teachers, students and all staff of the institution above;
5. Promote social solidarity and equality through university policy and education
6.They should try to establish connection between scientific and popular knowledge, creating incentives for all college students, and carry out extension work seeking to fulfill the social role of the university.
7. Must create modern institutions;
8. Exercise rigor and originality in academic standards
9. Integration of a global curriculum
CIVIL SOCIETY (RELIGIOUS, COMMUNITIES, TRADITIONAL LEADERS AND COMMUNITY)
Civil society provides students for institutions of higher learning and then makes use of the students’ knowledge and skills upon the completion of their education. Thus society has a significant interest in enhancing the quality of higher education. Civil societies bear the following responsibilities:
1. Encourage education for all members of society
2. Promote equal opportunities for higher education
3. Monitor the actions of higher education institutions
4. Promote and maintain high standards for education institutions
5. Communication and involvement with education leaders and institutions
6. Prohibit negative influences that compromise quality and opportunity of education
7. Promote peace, solidarity and democracy for creating a climate of stability
NGOs today are the great potential in improving the level of higher education in the world, the vehicle for the universalization of higher education, the funding of academic vision and action. And she has the responsibilities as well as:
1-To advise, monitor, and audit of establishments, travel, education programs;
2-Finance academic activities;
3-Identify feasibility and high academic partners for action;
4-Report actions or activities, of the governments, universities, civil society to international partners, etc..
5-Create discussion forums on the higher education, etc.
1. Better quality of life in terms of
·Improved access to quality basic and higher education to all section of society
·Improved basic education system to support youth taking higher education
·Improved educational infrastructure and better policies to inculcate more from youth;
·Strong Livelihood base to absorb the increasing educated youth of the society
·To lead a healthy life under clean environment
·Improved communications between all intermediaries of society
·Educated citizenry taking new challenges for the betterment
2. Better nations- with educated citizenry who can take prudent political policies, growing base of opportunities and employment for new labour causing complete stoppage of draining, knowledge based society
We look forward for better world with educated citizenry in long term perspective it give solution to many international conflicts