HEAR in Cincinnati
Hearing health providers and researchers in the Cincinnati area came together to create HEAR in Cincinnati in 2016. Organizers included persons from each of the major hearing provider agencies in the greater Cincinnati area. The group hosted its first regional conference in January 2017. The disciplines and specialties of participating individuals included professional education, audiology, vestibular disorders, basic and applied research, hearing aid dispensing practices, otolaryngology, and occupational health.
Mission Statement: HEAR in Cincinnati was established to communicate, share, and collaborate on research endeavors in the greater Cincinnati area, to promote excellence in provision of services and to advance professional education.
Vision Statement: HEAR in Cincinnati will become the model program to promote collaborative research, advance education, share ideas, and identify sources of funding to support research in areas of the ear and hearing.
Conferences and outreach campaigns are held periodically.
Participant Institutions[edit | edit source]
- Division of Audiology (https://www.cincinnatichildrens.org/service/a/audiology)
- Division of Developmental and Behavioral Pediatrics
- Division of Pediatric Otolaryngology
National Institute for Occupational Safety and Health, Centers for Disease Control and Prevention
University of Cincinnati College of Allied Health Sciences, Department of Communication Sciences and Disorders
University of Cincinnati College of Medicine
Conferences[edit | edit source]
Starting in 2017, annual conferences are held at the University of Cincinnati Medical Center.
Outreach activities[edit | edit source]
- Free hearing screenings were offered at the Monford Height Branch Library, in Cincinnati, OH on March 3rd, 2019, in celebration of World Hearing Day.
- Wikipedia:Meetup/Cincinnati/NIOSH 2019. This hands-on event was held on February 22nd 2019, and it was designed to celebrate World Hearing Day 2019, by improving Wikipedia content related to hearing, hearing health services, hearing testing, preventive and treatment interventions. Participants were also encouraged to translate pages from the English Wikipedia into other languages. Contributions were highlighted in the World Hearing Day 2019 report of activities.
- 5k Run/Walk for Better Hearing, held on August 24th, 2019 in Cincinnati, organized by the University of Cincinnati Student Academy of Cincinnati.
References[edit | edit source]
- World Health Organization, World Hearing Day 2019-Check your hearing, Report of Activities. Geneva, 2019. https://www.who.int/docs/default-source/documents/world-hearing-day-2019-activities-report.pdf?sfvrsn=1c5aedbf_2