- The game of football (also known as soccer in some parts of the world) was invented in the late 19th century in the United Kingdom. Ever since, it has spread around the world and is now officialy the most popular sport in the world, and has evolved into a major part of daily life. Football is a very simple sport. However, to become proficient at football, you need to be absolutely fit and practice a lot.
- The goalkeeper stands in the goal, and is allowed to use his hands to catch the ball but only within the goalkeeper's box. The ball is shot at the goal by the other team's forward when they get the chance. If it goes past him and enters the goal, a goal is conceded. Goalkeepers can dive for the ball, grab it, or kick it.
- Defenders are often placed near the goal, as they are on the pitch, they can move around anyway, but should stop the other teams forwards from approaching the goal by tackling them. They can then run for the goal with the ball, or pass it with their foot to another player.
- Mid-fielders do not only stay midfield, but rather generally run 18yd box to 18yd box, for a mixture of attack and defense. They often shoot at the goal and score, but can defend and keep the ball in one teams hands. The Mid-fielder job consists of a lot of running.
- Designed to score, the forwards attempt to score into the other players net which the goalkeeper attempts to catch. If the opponent misses and the forward scores, they score a goal. Any player, though, even a goalkeeper, is allowed to score a goal.
Learning to play the game
The game is played on a large field, which has two goals equally apart and positioned. On each half is a team. There is also the sidelines, which go around the perimeter pitch. If the ball goes out of the line on the sides of the pitch, the opposing team that did not knock it out gets a throw in. If it happens on the goal-lines (the line next to the goal), it changes. If the team that defends that side got it out, the opponents get a corner kick where the kick it from a corner. If the team that was attacking that side gets it out, the defenders get a goal kick, where they can kick from the goal.
- 1. Getting started
- To start playing soccer, you should train for a few weeks before playing. Start by getting a ball and start trying to run with it. This is called dribbling, you use your feet to move the ball as you move. To stop the ball, place your foot on the top. Use whatever foot you feel comfortable with to dribble it. A simple way to dribble it is tap it lightly and jog slowly keeping yourself aware. Keep doing this for a while to start learning, to properly kick a ball.
- 2. Passing
- Passing is the art of kicking a ball so you give it to another player on your team. You pass a ball by tapping it lightly with the inside of your foot and it should go in the aimed direction. Keep practicing in speed and accuracy for a while. Try doing this with a partner to make it more efficient.
- 3. Shooting
- To shoot a ball, you kick it full force. When you kick it full force, it should speed on the ground in one direction. Do this for a while. Then learn how to evaluate it with your foot. Elevate it by shoving your foot under it while you kick. To maintain a ball's height, when you elevate it, place your knee slightly downwards as you kick it, and its height will be stunted.
- 4. Heading a ball.
- Football players can use their heads to play football. To either pass or shoot at the goal, if a ball comes at your face, you should tap it in the appropriate direction with your head, this is heading a ball. Use it only to shoot when right next to a goal. Use it to pass anywhere else on the field.
- 5. Tackling.
- To get the ball off the opposing team you can intercept passes, but another and more difficult way, is tackling. You tackle a player when they are dribbling the ball, by kicking it out of their dribble. It is not that easy, as they can revert direction and keep the ball out of your way. Be careful when tackling as if you hit the player, it will be classed as a foul, which then may result in a yellow or red card. Yellow is a warning, red sends you off. If a foul is committed in the box around the goal of your team. It is classed as a penalty, where the other team get a free shot right up at the goal. You can slide tackle other players, by sliding onto the ground with your foot forwards to get the ball off them. More about tackling can be for the Defending position.
- 6. Assisting
- A lot of players in football don't score goals. But they, assist other players to score goals. By getting to the appropiate position, passing it, then they can shoot it in at a perfect point. This is often used when one player is obstructed by too many opposing defenders.
- 7. Dribbling
- Dribbling is the art in football of tapping the ball lightly while moving with the ball. This technique is usually done by forwards, who try to score the goal in. Players also do different, special tricks while dribbling, which are moves such as the Bicycle Kick, Nut meg, and different other special skills. There are also different tricks done while dribbling which can physically or mentally trick the player. Many great known players are really called for there dribbling, such as Leo Messi and Diego Maradona.
Playing the game
After spending a few weeks learning these basic skills, get into a game. Use a large area of land, set up some goal posts, and get 11 players on each team or 5. 11 is recommended. Use different colored strips for each team. Each team also needs one captain, which is normally the most experienced and skilled player, a player of any position can be the captain
Each team has a formation, where they should be mostly positioned when playing - they are free to move around, though. When playing the 5-a-side version of the game, all players of one team except the goalkeeper should be in the other players half when a player of their team scores. The ref should kick off by a some kind of a draw, like a coin toss.
He will then place the ball in the middle and let the team which has kick off get the first move. The game should go on for 90 minutes. When it gets to 45 minutes. It becomes half time, and the players can rest for 15 minutes which doesn't count onto the game time, for the second half of the game for another 45 minutes. At 90 minutes, which ever teams scored the most goals win. If it's the same number it goes into a draw.