Enabling Greek Characters on Your Keyboard
You can type Greek text without downloading anything or changing your keyboard. All you need to do is:
- Open control panel from the start menu
- Open the file called "Region and Language"
- Click the "Keyboards and Languages" tab
- Click the "Change keyboards..." button
- Click the "Add" button to add a keyboard
- Find the division "Greek"
- After clicking "Greek" you will see a number of different keyboard layouts. Click the box named "Greek Polytonic"
- Click "OK"
- You're done, you now should be able to type Greek text. To change between your current language and Greek all you now need to do is hold left Shift + Alt to swap between languages.
A Greek character's key will generally be its English equivalent. If you wish just to place an accent mark, a breathing mark, etc. use the key combination (desired breathing mark, etc.)+period(.). To use the "·" punctuation mark use the key combination shift ]+ . ="·".
Note: depending on the operating system you are running you may not be able to enable Greek text via this method(ie: Apple OS).
You will also be able to find an online Greek keyboard with accenting and so on at https://www.lexilogos.com/keyboard/greek_ancient.htm This will be good for producing individual words for an essay or similar project but not very effective if you need to type extensively in Greek.