Critical History/History as Social Product
Presentation[edit | edit source]
Humanity creates knowledge, but we do not do this as we please; we do not create it under self-selected circumstances, but from information which already exists, gathered and transmitted from the past.
* Information is gathered according to the perceived institutional needs of the organisation which gathers it.
* Information is preserved according to the priorities created by successive institutions
* Other data may be available and may be subsequently ordered/reordered into information
* This information may be processed into knowledge in different ways
* Each of these phases are social processes