Conservation Entrepreneurship/Class Outlines and Readings
Class 1 January 7
- Introduce concept of shared vision
- How this course came about and where I'm coming from
- Introduce Senge's 5 Disciplines, Covey's 7 habits, Drucker's concept of the knowledge worker
- Course goals and expectations
Class 2 January 14
- Assignment: review business plans, summarize one on wikiversity, present a business venture idea of your own, identify and present on wikiversity one social entrepreneur
- Non-profits vs. for-profits
- Greening business (present and discuss various handouts)
Class 3 January 21
- Reed Dees et al Chapters 1 and 3
- Because of student turnover prior to this class, redo introductions and review classes 1 and 2
- Brand value
- Value proposition; product vs. commodity
- Corporate Social Responsibility
- Triple Bottom Line
Class 4 January 28
- Read Drucker Chapter 12, Entrepreneurial Strategy
- Deja Shoes and Perez Companc case studies
Class 5 February 4
- Read Senge, Kleiner, Roberts, Ross and Smith. 1994. The Fifth Discipline Fieldbook: Strategies and tools for building a learning organization.
- Read Drucker, The Essential Drucker. pp 20-27.
- Site visits to 3 Gainesville social entrepreneurs: Volta, Indigo and Alternatives
Class 6 February 11:
- Read Dees, et al. Chapter 8
- Discuss competencies of the 3 Gainesville social entrepreneurs
- Discuss course project, how we want to work together, and topics / schedule for remainder of semester
- Read Dees, et al. Chapter 10
- Discuss Business Plans
Assignment for this week: Please go to http://en.wikiversity.org/wiki/Conservation_Entrepreneurship/Local_Initiatives and look under "comments and evaluation". There are 7 headings. Under each heading I would like 2 entries for each business. That is, under value proposition, there would be 2 entries for Volta, 2 for Indigo, 2 for Alternatives. Same for customers, same for competitors, etc.
This would be a total of 42 entries: 7 topics x 3 businesses x 2 different student perspectives. I suggest that each class member make 7 entries. That could be any combination of headings and businesses, first come, first served -- just don't everybody answer the same headings for the same businesses.