Break the Cycle!
Introduction[edit | edit source]
Break the Cycle! is a webpage that was created and maintained by Peter K. Gerlach, M.S.W. (January 27th 1938 - October 22, 2015). The website was an expression of his life purpose in the later life:
"My life purpose is to educate and motivate other people to protect future generations and break the toxic [wounds + unawareness] cycle that is crippling many persons, families, and our society."
Peter lived in an elderly care home and offered pro-bono therapy online based on Internal Family Systems (see , ). His clients would find him through the "seven sequential self-study Lessons for all lay and professional adults and older teens" he posted on his website.
The Seven Self-study Lessons[edit | edit source]
- Assess for psychological wounds and reduce any you find using "parts work" to free your wise resident true Self.
- Learn effective thinking and communicating skills
- An overview of bonding, losses (broken bonds), and healthy three-level grief
- Learn how to optimize your human relationships
- Learn how to evolve a satisfying high-nurturance family
- Learn how to parent (nurture) kids and teens effectively
- Learn how to evolve and maintain a high-nurturance stepfamily
Although the lessons were originally created as a self-help tool for families involving step-children, the contents are applicable to anyone.
Plan, Phase 1[edit | edit source]
This page is the beginning of a community effort to keep evolving the lessons Peter created and help spread the benefits derived from them to the world. A suggestion for a structure of this effort:
- Create overview pages of the seven lessons, summarizing key points and resources. These pages will function as navigation portals into each of the seven topics.
- Identify core themes of these lessons and create pages for these themes
- Create a repository of helpful tools and techniques that can be used within each theme
- Review the material and create links between the pages