Lessons[edit | edit source]
Lesson 1: Water's Unique Chemistry[edit | edit source]
Lesson 2: Amino Acids[edit | edit source]
General Structure of an amino acid
All amino acids have the following general structure:
- Area in Green is the amino group - NH2
- Area in Beige is the carboxyl group - COOH
The 'R' is the variable region. Different amino acids have different groups attached in the R region, this is what gives each group of amino acids essentially it own specific function and shape.
Lesson 3: Proteins[edit | edit source]
Lesson 4: Enzymes[edit | edit source]
Essay and Discussion Themes[edit | edit source]
- w:Digestion and absorption
- w:Nerve impulse, transmission, w:neuromuscular junction and modulators.
- w:The origin of life on Earth
- The possible origin of life outside Earth (w:Astrobiology)
- Iron, w:Heme
- Voluntary w:Muscle (item) metabolic peculiarities (item, item, item) and the w:neuromuscular junction
- w:Connective tissue (w:collagen, w:elastin, w:reticulin)
- Vitalism - Is vitalism dead? Is mechanicism firmly established? Are all life processes, including consciousness, emotions, feelings (sentiments), and the sense of being oneself (Self) chemical and organic processes and functions, as neurologist António Damásio says (, , )? Is there a life force that drives the processes of the emergence of life on Earth, growth, tissue differentiation, morphogenesis () and of tissue repair? Something like the egyptians Ka () ? It's true that the controversy between materialism and idealisms has thousands of years and is likely to stay around; but what do you think yourself?
Topics and Learning Materials[edit | edit source]
Books[edit | edit source]
By alphabetical order of the first author's surname.
General Biochemistry[edit | edit source]
- Garrett, R, Grisham, C. "Biochemistry". Sanders College Publishing. Fort Worth, TX. 1999. ISBN 0-03-022318-0. Online at http://www.web.virginia.edu/Heidi/home.htm
- Nelson DL, Cox MM. "Lehninger Principles of Biochemistry". Worth Publishers. New York. 2000. ISBN 1-57259-153-6. http://worthpublishers.com/lehninger
- Osgood M, Ocorr K. "The Absolute, Ultimate Guide to Lehninger Principles of Biochemistry Study Guide and Solution Manual". Worth Publishers. New York. 2000. ISBN 9781572591677.
- The more general Entrez
Other resources[edit | edit source]
UH tutorial