Assessment of Sport Coaching
Assessing the effectiveness of sport coaching techniques is essential to enhance communication between athletes and their coaches. Assessment of Sport Coaching provides an in-depth understanding of the coach evaluation process using an evidence-based approach. Sport coaching will be examined using reflective and analytical skills to improve performance. The importance of feedback / feed-forward to improving coaching performance will be discussed with reference to appropriate methods to receive such information. The use of video analysis of coaching behaviours as well as implementing a coach mentoring program will be explored along with methods of coach goal-setting and self-reflection. Athlete learning styles are then considered with respect to the coach as an effective presenter and facilitator. Finally, the role of a head coach as a member of a high performance athlete support team is explored along with the other members of a high performance structure (e.g. high performance manager, assistant coaches, administrators and development officers). Assessment of Sport Coaching provides an individualised development program appropriate for coaches in a high performance setting.
Key Outcomes[edit | edit source]
- Demonstrated ability to research and present current evidence-based information relevant to sport coaching
- Demonstrated proficiency in assessing coaching performance including self-evaluation
- Demonstrated ability to provide meaningful feedback to coaches through a mentoring program
Topics[edit | edit source]
- Purpose of assessment in sport coaching
- Appropriate coach assessment techniques and the role of video analysis
- Providing feedback to coaches through effective communication
- Developing a coach assessment tool and using a team to provide feedback
- Review coaching performance and the provision of information
- Mentoring strategies to improve sport coaching performance
- Setting goals as a sport coach
- Mentor-coach communication
- Coach self-reflection
- Effective coaching techniques including the coach as a presenter
- Designing training programs appropriate to athlete learning styles
- Planning and designing presentations in sport coaching
- Appropriate use of learning aids in sport coaching
- Facilitating coaching workshops
- Coach communication with a high performance support team and managers
- The coach as a high performance manager
- The coach as a professional
Resources[edit | edit source]
- Assessor training participant manual (2006), Australian Sports Commission.
- Presenter/Facilitator Manual (2009), Australian Sports Commission.
Assignments[edit | edit source]
- Research seminar that critically reviews the literature surrounding an area of interest relevant to coaching.
- Coaching practical session and self-reflection
- Coaching log book and practical tasks