Acceptable Use Policies (AUP)
The following is an example.
The use of the Internet must be in support of education and consistent with the educational objectives of the Board of Education. Users must also comply with the rules and regulations of the Educational Telecomputing policies.
As a computer user I agree to follow the rules in all of my work with computers while attending this school: I recognize that all computer users have the same rights to use the equipment; therefore,
- I will not play games or use the computer resources for non-academic activities when others require the system for academic purposes;
- I will not waste or take supplies such as paper, printer ribbons, and diskettes that are provided by the school;
- I will avoid excessive use of network hard disk space by removing any files that has not been used within one month.
I recognize that software is protected by copyright laws; therefore,
- I will not make unauthorized copies of software found on school computer by copying them onto my own diskettes or onto other computers through electronic mail or bulletin boards;
- I will not give, lend, or sell copies of software to others unless I have the written permission of the copyright owner or the original software is clearly identified as shareware or in the public domain.
I recognize that the work of all users is valuable; therefore,
- I will protect the privacy of others by not trying to learn their passwords;
- I will not copy, change, read, or use files in another user’s area without that user’s permission;
- I will not attempt to gain unauthorized access to system programs or computer equipment;
- I will not create or introduce any virus which may destroy files or disrupt service to other users;
- I will not download information onto the hard drives of any computer for permanent storage.
User, Parent, and Teacher must sign agreement form in order for student to have access to computers in the school system.
USER – Please sign and return
I understand and will abide by the above Acceptable Use Policy when using the school’s computer network. I further understand that any violation of the regulations above is unethical and may constitute a criminal offense. Should I commit any violation, my access privileges may be revoked, school disciplinary action may be taken, and/or appropriate legal action may be pursued.
User’s name (Please print):________________________________________________
Date: __________________________________ Grade:________________________
Parent – MUST be signed for Internet Access
I, the parent/guardian of _________________________________________, have read and discussed the above Acceptable Use Policy (AUP) for computer networks with my child. I understand that this access is designed for educational purposes. The school has taken precautions to eliminate controversial material. However, I also recognize it is impossible to restrict access to all controversial materials, and I will not hold them responsible for materials acquired on the network. Further, I accept full responsibility for supervision when my child’s use is not in a school setting. I hereby give permission to issue an account for my child and certify that the information contained on this form is correct.
Parent/Guardian’s Name (Please print):______________________________________
Teacher – MUST be signed for Internet Access
I agree to promote the AUP with this user. Because the user may use the network for individual work or in the context of another class, I cannot be held responsible for the user’s use of the network. As the sponsoring teacher, I do agree to instruct the user on the acceptable use of the network and proper network etiquette.
Sponsoring Teacher’s Name (Please print):___________________________________